Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an old desktop computer, well its my parents but my dad said i could have it. but i mean this thing is old, i'm talking like window's '95 old. But anyways, i am looking for a computer to use for only one purpose, which is recording music and just running a recording/mixing program on it, and nothing else.

I'm pretty good with computers, just not how they actually work, and size and capacity running power and all that good stuff, that i probably should know since i'm getting into all this, but that's why i'm asking!

pretty much my initial thought process (which is probably wrong) is i'll take this old computer, delete everything off of it, then from what i've read seems like the thing to do is upgrade the audio card or whatever, and probably get some sort of external hard drive, or some higher capacity form of storage. will just doing those things sort of boost it up enough to possibly run these programs? from what i get recording/mixing programs kinda take a lot of space, but i figure between deleting everything, and getting an external hard drive it should be able to handle it.

thanks a lot, if you have any other advice it would be greatly appreciated. i've been playing/writing music for years now, and just now getting into recording my own stuff, tired of paying lots of money to have someone do it for me!

thank! :salute:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Having higher storage won't boost anything. You will need to find a compatible program and audio card that runs on Win95 unless you plan on upgrading the OS. If your going to do that might as well build yourself something. Most likely that PCs CPU is weak and low memory.

Its like a non mobile netbook! =p

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Decent complete PCs can be had for as little as $299 these days. That one with Win95 sounds like it needs to be retired.

·
Never mind me, I'm lazy!
350 Posts
The problem of a machine running windows 95 is that the onboard motherboard wont support a lot of addons. I think there is a limit to the hard drive memory at 20 gb per partition or something. It wont support even larger capacity ide harddrive let alone there newer sata ones. The expansion slots would be pci slots not the express ones, and then again you would be hard pressed to find audio cards for that. As of audio recording and compression software they are a little more resource hungry than the machine would be able to handle.

^X2 you can build decent system if you assemble it or even buy it off fleabay for around that price.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have my laptop, which i think should be able to handle it, its only a year old, and i don't have anything installed on it as far as programs or anything. i was just trying to be resourceful but sounds like i'll just use my laptop. its a new HP so hopefully it works.

now i just need to figure out all this software, mixer, keyboard, plug in stuff...why can't it be as easy as plug in, hit record, GO!

i'll get it soon enough...hopefully!

·
Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
4,625 Posts
To record and mix music your going ot at LEAST need Pro Tools LE. and if this computer is win 95 old, theres no way you will be able to build it with enough juice to handle such programs. As mentioned, you can get a decent PC for ~$300.

Microcenter is a AWESOME place to go if you wanna build a computer, there pricing is fantastic and they have everything on hand:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I do have my laptop, which i think should be able to handle it, its only a year old, and i don't have anything installed on it as far as programs or anything. i was just trying to be resourceful but sounds like i'll just use my laptop. its a new HP so hopefully it works.

now i just need to figure out all this software, mixer, keyboard, plug in stuff...why can't it be as easy as plug in, hit record, GO!

i'll get it soon enough...hopefully!
And a budget complete barebones kit should be enough if you want to go that method. 299 is a quad core kit. And if your a complete cheap sake you can use Linux =D

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
1. Get a new computer.
2. Use it for all your recording / mixing needs.
3. Install Linux on the old Win 95 computer to breath new life in to it.
4. Have fun with both.

(#3: You can use the Linux box as a backup server that makes nightly/weekly backups, just need to add storage)

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
3. Install Linux on the old Win 95 computer to breath new life in to it.
This. Linux will turn any old hardware into something useful again. The OS is so lightweight that it'll run fast on practically anything that still powers up.

Burn this ISO to a CD and boot it up (don't have to install). Play around with it to see how well your existing hardware performs before messing with anything. It's not necessarily the best choice, but will at least give you an idea of what's possible with the hardware you have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This. Linux will turn any old hardware into something useful again. The OS is so lightweight that it'll run fast on practically anything that still powers up.

Burn this ISO to a CD and boot it up (don't have to install). Play around with it to see how well your existing hardware performs before messing with anything. It's not necessarily the best choice, but will at least give you an idea of what's possible with the hardware you have.
This really works

·
Registered
2 Posts
I extended the life of my old pc which was running super unbearably slow by installing Ubuntu which helped it run faster. I am sure you can find some music software for Ubuntu.

but as some have mentioned here, you can find a cheaper pc with much better processing power. I just bought a pc that is super fast for less than 200 and windows 10 installed, it was refurbished but sometimes refurbished equipment is tested more thoroughly and I have had zero problems.

just go to newegg.com and look for a refurbished pc. hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts