Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: '03 Monsoon Package...

Has anyone installed replacement components in the front of their B5.5 (or any Passat with the same internal config)? I have never been happy with the sound of the tweeters and the doors are just kind of "there." After an additional amp and sub the whole system sounded better, of course, but now I'm fed up wiht the overall flatness and frustrating lack of highs so I picked up a set of Polk components at Amazon for a steal.

I've heard that changing these can be a real drag. If I remember correctly, the tweeters come straight out the top of the dash, rather than under... right? And I haven't looked yet, but I imagine the crossovers are well tucked away somewhere...

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mi|<e

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you have a Monsoon amp... then the crossovers are inside the amp. If not... I'm not sure. They might be part of the speakers (like the OE speakers in my 94 Golf).

In my 04 B5.5 the tweeters are located in the door on the opposite side of the mirrors.

·
Registered
133 Posts
aj7360 said:
If you have a Monsoon amp... then the crossovers are inside the amp. If not... I'm not sure. They might be part of the speakers (like the OE speakers in my 94 Golf).

In my 04 B5.5 the tweeters are located in the door on the opposite side of the mirrors.
The tweeters are in fact located at the top of the door (looking at the door, you should be able to see the 1" grill that covers them). To take them out, you'd need to take the door panel off and remove them from the back side of the panel. The replacements will more than likely not be a perfect fit though, but do a search on here as I've read plenty of threads where people have made them fit.

As far as the crossovers, they are built into the amp... You could use this crossover, however I don't recommend it as it is "tuned" for the factory speakers and you'd never get it to sound right with aftermarket components. You could bypass the monsoon amp and mount the crossover in the door (or in the trunk for that matter if you wanted to) using the speaker level from the HU or you could add another amp to power them...

quality_sound (paul) may be of assistance if you need someone to elaborate on this issue...

chris :lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
My 3/4 inch CDT tweets fit perfectly into the hole after I removed the OE tweets ... from the back. I left the OE grill intact. Just put some "shoe goo" on the new tweets to hold them in.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton for the info...

I guess I was kind of unclear (sleepy) in my post... when I said the "doors are kind of there" I mean the door speakers. Hmm.. crossovers in the amp, eh? Like you said, I'd really hate to use the monsoon 'overs with the polks and vice versa. But I also want to avoid buying a 3rd amp... argh. I knew this was going to be less than simple.

I'll do some fishing when they arrive. Will also look up Quality_Sound(Paul) before I start tearing into it.

Thanks again.

::edit - hmm... I imagine it will be a trial to get the whole component system to work, but the tweeters should work really well, once they're installed. Can't think that there will be any compatibility issue there... at least I hope not. Those will be the first I change and should make a big difference. The stock/Monsoon tweeters are about the flattest things I've heard::

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just stuck my comps in there and let the Monsoon amp run them while the proceeded with the rest of my install. They do sound better than what was in there... at least I think so. :lol:

Switching out the tweets was easy.. not the mid-woofs. The stock ones come out easy.. after you drill out the rivets holding them in... But then you have to make some spacers out of MDF because the magnets on the new speakers will hit the glass. I ended up making three 1/2 inch rings for a total of 1 1/2 inch depth.

I'm now hooking up my amp and will drive them thru the proper crossover.

Since the process of changing the speakers and adding an amp is pretty time consuming... I did the speakers first... so at least I have music to listen to!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Cycles - DO NOT use the Monsoon amp and crossover with the Polks. Yes it will work, and probably sound better, but not as good as it should. I'd get a nice 4-channel amp and the Balupunkt line level adapter if it'll work with the 04.5 and then bypass the Monsoon system altogether. It'll sound a ton better that way.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quality_sound said:
Cycles - DO NOT use the Monsoon amp and crossover with the Polks. Yes it will work, and probably sound better, but not as good as it should. I'd get a nice 4-channel amp and the Balupunkt line level adapter if it'll work with the 04.5 and then bypass the Monsoon system altogether. It'll sound a ton better that way.

Thanks, Paul... I really like Blaupunkt equipment, mysefl. Well, I remember the day when they made AWESOME cassette decks... Anyway, I'll have to work up to this, but do you think I would be safe tossing the tweeters in there until I get the rest of the equipment?

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
quality_sound said:

Get a line driver too if you go that way. 8)

I setup my subs recently by using this method and I'm only getting about 1~1.5v out of the stock HU. Had to turn the gain way the hell up on the amp (Alpine MRV-T320) to make any decent sound.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
A line driver isn't necessary, that's why amps have gains. A gain control is not a volume control or a "power valve" that determines how much power the amp makes. A gain control changes when an amp makes full power. If you turn the gain up too high for a given input voltage then the amp will start clipping before the HU and you'll sacrifice sound quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.