Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks, new one for you. I have a set of a/d/s 335is components. I want to put them in the rear door of my B5. I want to put a set of 236is components in my front door. I am 6'3". I am not particularly fond of having a tweeter anywhere in the rear door. I have a guy that wants to sell me his 236is mids and crossovers for a fine price. I would use the tweeters from the 335is up front with the 236's. Then I would only use the 5.25" mids from the 335's in the rear door-- sans tweeters. Any ideas? Should I just buy two full sets of 236is', and mount the 335is' in kickpanels? Or is that overkill? I drive my car as a commuter vehicle, not a show car. I am putting together a SQ system and want it to be nice. What do you folks think? Am I creating a void by not using those tweeters in the rear? I'm gonna go with (2) 10" A10s.2 subs by a/d/s/ as well. Any objections? Let me know. All amps. are RF DSM series. Get at me. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If your going for SQ, rear speaks are not of any concern. you colud leave them stock and off, and only "fade" them on when you got rear seat passengers.

A great set-up up-front and some subs in the rear is going to be your best bet for SQ unless your a major rearfill fan. If you must change the rear speakers, alot of people here will actually suggest coaxials in the doors, this way at least the treble in the rear is on-point with the midbass creating one less problem source.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say great setup, does that mean just a set in the doors, or does that move on toward kickpanels, etc.?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did I do it wrong?

I keep hearing getting rear components is a waste of time..

I have two sets of Diamond HEX's (matched w/ JL 300/4) with an Alpine 7998 head. Even with using time correction, is my setup not optimal?

·
Registered
151 Posts
When you say great setup, does that mean just a set in the doors, or does that move on toward kickpanels, etc.?
I mean a great setup, and thats to your tastes/means.

This could mean a good set of components in stock locations, coaxials in kick panels or even HLCDs and mid basses (posiibly with some very hi freq tweets to bring up the sound stage).

In any event if you can get good sound up front then all you need is some bass extension from the subs and youll have a better sq setup then muddling things up with the rears. Personally id keep the rear speakers stock and fade the sound forward with the HU, that way youve got half-decent speakers in the back for lower-volume 4 passenger listening.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D I never have four people in the car. I only drive it to and from work. Other than that, my B5 sits parked.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I'd use the 335 set in front. Yes, they're smaller, but they're a step up from the 2-series and being a 5 vs. a 6 they'll be more accurate as well.

You should have no problems blending the 5 to the 10s. Kick panels will image better right off the bat but after you do you phase adjustments you'll likely end up with less midbass. Basically for the kicks vs. door argument you have to decide on what's more impartant, a strong center image or a wider image with better midbass.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing