Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Finished my 2.7t swap, have some engine codes to sort of, but the car is actually running great. have covered 70 miles so far and no complaints.

Added a few Clips. the Wiring needed some swapping around and custom made my whole exhaust system, had to custom make a Drivers Transaxle support bracket. other then that, was all bolt in mechanically right up to the 5speed.

1st full start up.

Enjoy my fellow Car friends.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sure sounds and looks cool. Is that the engine that comes in the Audi S model? Sorry if common knowledge as I am not up on the engines and the different models.
TomK

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kutcht1, thank you very much, the engine comes out of a B5 Audi S4. 2.7 twin turbo. do not worry, most of the times we see and forget or do not think of them.
Thank you as well cchief22, Has been a brilliant project! happy to have her running. I took her out for a second drive last night. to church and back about 70 miles, I posted small clip of that drive to my YouTube. looking forward to having her 100% completed today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks really good! Well done!
I'm working on a 2001 Allroad with the same motor. Was tempted to swap it into my Passat wagon but have been fixing up the Allroad instead. You have me second guessing myself now lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much Cerious, this Swap is loads of fun, but you are limited to FWD for the 1.8 and 2.8 Passat chassis unless want to mod a lot of the body. but I will be around 260hp once she is all tuned in which is perfect for FWD only. If you can get you Allroad up and going, would keep the engine in there. I pulled my Passats 1.8t out due to slipping clutch, lose of compression and power.

Here is my 2nd drive

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very cool. I too have an Allroad and a Passat. I have plans for both but this is a really neat project

Only seen a couple of these but always wondered if the FWD vs. AWD cause computer issues.

My local junkyard had a rare AWD Passat I thought hard about buying for a swap very similar to this.

Good work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool. I too have an Allroad and a Passat. I have plans for both but this is a really neat project

Only seen a couple of these but always wondered if the FWD vs. AWD cause computer issues.

My local junkyard had a rare AWD Passat I thought hard about buying for a swap very similar to this.

Good work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thank you very much arnoldcp they are great cars, so long as you take care of them.
so FWD, you are just limited to around 300hp safely be handled through the front wheels and diff. But really, 300hp in a 4 door saloon car is plenty for scare the kids.
AWD, you can put down some huge power I have seen. on the computer side, so long as you have the ECU and transmission control for an Automatic you will not have any issues on that.
the AWD Passat are not common at all. that would be a great built chassis.
I do like the FWD only kind of, les rotating mass for the engine and gearbox to turn, hence a bit better MPG.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
The 4Mo is mechanical, so no programing needed apart from ESP/ASR depending on the version you have. Even with less HP, the 4Mo is great in the rain, snow, mud and with an IRS, it rides and handles better than the FWD. Mileage does take a hit, about 3mpg overall.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Great project and looks like it is going to be a lot of fun! Did you do any upgrades and what kind of maintenance did you do prior to dropping the engine in the car? Do you have any other plans as far as mechanical and/or on the car itself? Anyways, congrats, job well done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great project and looks like it is going to be a lot of fun! Did you do any upgrades and what kind of maintenance did you do prior to dropping the engine in the car? Do you have any other plans as far as mechanical and/or on the car itself? Anyways, congrats, job well done.
Hiya RAH, Did mainly maintenance stuff, belts, rollers, main seals, new head gaskets, head bolts, and inspected tensioner pads. measured turbochargers for play and movement. then cleaned, painted, and assembled. Going to keep the engine fairly stock, I am looking to get a W8 FWD 6 speed next. Thank you much and for your interest.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 4Mo is mechanical, so no programing needed apart from ESP/ASR depending on the version you have. Even with less HP, the 4Mo is great in the rain, snow, mud and with an IRS, it rides and handles better than the FWD. Mileage does take a hit, about 3mpg overall.
Hiya PZ, thank you for that Knowledge. I did not know the 4MO was made like that. I love learning.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts