Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a 99 aeb Passat parts car for the manual transmission swap. I'm sick of the tip in my wagon. As I understand the crankshafts between the manuals and autos are different. So I was thinking of using the aeb block and leave it intact with the trans and just swap my AWM head onto the block and then use all my current manifolds and electronics. Is this ok to do?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I recall reading about pulley offset issues between the 058 (AEB) and 06A (AWM) engine blocks, such that you may have issues with getting the timing belt positioned in the same spot on the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys unless certain parts are used to account for the difference in depth/length between AEB/AWM cylinder heads. This is an issue regardless of whether it's an 06A block with AEB head or an 058 block with an AWM head. Use a new AEB tensioner, and idler, etc. but you'll need a few different parts (AEB cam pulley and ...?) to make the AWM head work.

I'm sure PZ (Paul) will chime in shortly...

Here's a somewhat related thread to the path you're taking, but not the specific one (Re: cam/crank pulley alignment) I was looking for...
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/459970-awm-aeb-awap-2001-passat.html?highlight=AWM

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
You will use the AEB camshaft pulley on the AWM head, with an AEB block.
The ECU will need to be re-coded for manual transmission.

·
Registered
26,585 Posts
It would be better to stick with the same block. The water pump and p/s steering are different and mount differently to the block. I am not sure about the a/c mounting. The lower radiator hose is different, you might have to swap the radiator out to the old style clamp on fittings. It's been a few years since I have seen an 058 block.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
I agree with keeping the AWM block if it is OK.
It is not difficult to fit a manual transmission using a V6 pilot bearing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided I am going to stick with my block and shave the crankshaft. From what I recall I shave off like 2mm correct? V6 pilot bearing? Tell me more?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if I am reading these threads I need to pull out the center bushing on my crankshaft and then cut the back end of a v6 pilot bearing and that's it's?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts