Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda will showcase the world premiere of the new high-performance Mazda3 MPS at the 76th annual Geneva International Motor Show to be held from Tuesday, 28 February through Sunday, 12 March 2006. Mazda3 MPS is the second model in the Mazda Performance Series, following the Mazda6 MPS launched in Europe a month ago. The car will be called Mazdaspeed Axela in Japan, Mazdaspeed3 in North America and, in other key regions including Europe, Australia and New Zealand, Mazda3 MPS. It will feature a 2.3L MZR DISI Turbo engine with front-wheel drive (FWD). The car is also believed to be an indicator of the facelifted Mazda 3 range, which is likely to follow the introduction of this model.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
I had a 929 once - a '92 model. It was a beautiful, long-legged touring car, absolutely a delight to drive except for insane chassis flex. I ordered a set of Mazdaspeed struts for it, just before the wifey totalled it.

I would LOVE to have a stiffened-chassis, Mazdaspeed 929.

Anyway, I like Mazdas, especially the "speed" ones. Cool.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
can't wait to drive it.
I was disappointed that the Mazdaspeed 6 only comes in the sedan. The sportback would a sleeker and more appropriate body style.
On the contrary, I always liked the Mazda 3 sedan over the 4-door hatch -- the sedan looks more sporty and european than the somewhat wagon/van-looking hatch.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
should hopefully force Audi to ship over the 2.0T quattro...otherwise this is a lot of car for GTi $$$ with a similar form factor to the A3 2.0T FWD :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I really liked the Mazda3, and almost got it instead of the 05 Passat wagon. (got the Passat for the same price after bargaining.) But the one thing I didn't like on the Mazda3 was the sluggishness out of the box. The 1.8T was such a nice engine, it helped sway the decision to the Passat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
There's a little more info at the Edmunds website.

In sedan form that car would be an interesting option. Not sure what if any differences there will be in the MazdaSpeed3's version but the engine made Ward's top 10 list for 2006 for its application in the MazdaSpeed6. In a smaller car that will be insane. I really wish they'd gone AWD with it (maybe with a slight rearward bias) though. That thing's got to produce some torque steer with that much power, but I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This thing should be a rocket with 274HP/280 lb/ft of torque! I'm thought is would be AWD though. Anyways.... I'm glad companies have finally decided to put more that 200HP in compacts. There's are alot more options for cheap HP now than compared 5 years ago. Now would be a great time to bring back the Focus SVT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts