Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had an issue come up where I was unable to unlock any door other than the drivers door. Took my 01.5 4mo to the dealership where they were unable to diagnose the problem as anything other than the CCM.

I asked how they came to that conclusion. They answered that they were not getting any codes from the CPU and were unable to rule out other issues. I asked, "are you able to diagnose codes or problems directly from the CCM". They answered that there is no way to check codes directly from the CCM.

So they don't have any way to directly diagnose the CCM as the issue, OK. So it's $500+ to replace the CCM, OK. BTW my car has less than 70K miles, so it's way out of warranty.

Seems like a $500 part that is so vital to all the functions of the interior shouldn't go out with less than 70K. Nor should it be used as a "replace it and see if the problem goes away" trial and error part.

As an aside, I got in the car two days ago, stick the key in the ignition, and accidentally hit the unlock button.

Eureka, all the door unlock now! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Any similar issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
It isn't clear from your post whether you spent the $500 or not. I hope you haven't. It IS true that when the CCM fails, the VAG tool cannot communicate with it. So, in some sense, inability to access the CCM suggests that a failure has occurred. On the other hand, rather than an actual failure of the CCM, it's likely that the connections to the CCM have gotten loose or wet. In which case, cleaning and re-making the connections would be the logical first step in troubleshooting the problem. Also, it's a lot cheaper than replacement.

Best of luck to you.

Kenny

·
Registered
325 Posts
LBug said:
Any of you modding geniuses up and MOVED your CCM to a less vulnerable location? Just curious.
Well no, not moved but wrapped that thing and the harness up in saran wrap after spraying out the harness and connectors with electrical cleaner, blowing dry and stuffing it full of silicia gel packets straight out of the oven.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had anything replaced. The tech said that the CCM was not throwing any codes, so evidently it is communicating with the CPU/VAG COM. I was waiting to see if there are any other issues to surface. Thus far, my problem has not come back.

Sounds like most of the time the CCM isn't the problem, but the wiring is. Since I live in the south, we don't get much snow, but we do get rain. I have had the Monster Mats since 10,000 miles, so hopefully that will keep the majority of the moisture issues to a minimum.

Is the CCM prone to contracting gremlins in the basic programing? With no other issues at hand, is it prone to just going haywire?

I guess my overriding issue is more rhetorical than anything, is it good practice for a service department to have as its unofficial policy, when unable to diagnose an issue definitively, to just replace everything?

No wonder most shops are not mod friendly. If they can't even diagnose problems with vehicles that are standard from the OEM, they must be completely lost with any sort of modification.

My $.02. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since I live in the south, we don't get much snow, but we do get rain. I have had the Monster Mats since 10,000 miles, so hopefully that will keep the majority of the moisture issues to a minimum.

If you have a blocked AC, battery, or pollen filter drain, I think the water doesn't come from the top, but seeps in some other mysterious place. My transmission wiring died by a flood in the passenger side foot well that I never noticed, because the area wasn't noticeably damp. So your monster mats may actually help keep water in that area from your attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.