Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 GLX PASSAT WAGON / AUTOMATIC V-6

2002 GLX PASSAT WAGON V-6 30 VALVE. 1- REMOVED CARPET in process of drying out. Removed CCM unit water did get in. dried everything off checked wires just off the box they seemed in good shape. HOWEVER I did find a single wire soldered to four others that run into it. seemed in ok shape. put it back together and tried it out. 2- Car would not start BUT-- horn in back did cut on. So it's getting juice . 3- Not much on multimeters but Am watching you tube to gain some knowledge here.. I need to know - Do I need a new unit ? or may it still be an electrical issue. 4-- might it be a fuse under the dash if so what number controls all that mess down there ? The water did run down most of that left side pillar. 5 -- If I need to splice and add wire / what size wire is best for that harness ? what size solder connectors would be best / and should I heat shrink plastic around the harness ? 6- As for a new unit how do pick up a used one. I have seen a couple post giving serial numbers-- I guess/ off there unit to purchase one . .
7 - I have also seen where a VAG-COM has to be used to sync with the key. - Anyone local that might like to help out on that. ? live in charlottesville virginia . This is a mess and I have a buyer but I can't let it go like this. ANY HELP WOULD HAVE ME WORSHIPPING YOU LIKE A GOD.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
Did you check all of the fuses already? The wires will need to be unwrapped until all of the splices are checked. Can't say if the CCM is bad until the fuses and splices are checked. This is not my strong point, I expect others will check in.

Reactions: chipsouthard

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I suggest you completely unwrap all of the CCM harness and pull the wires apart to find the splices, any corroded splices need
to be cut back, soldered, and covered with marine grade heat shrink tubing. (You might need to add short wires to replace what you cut out)
Also check ground connections (1 on floor and on "A" Pillar), and check CCM/TCM and "A" Pillar connectors.

Have a good look at this link, before you start. (Note: This is a UK car, the CCM is always on the LHS)

This thread attempts to bring together all the problems regarding water ingress and their solutions.
Water Ingress and Solutions

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE="PZ, post: 4548929, member: 19956"]
Did you check all of the fuses already? The wires will need to be unwrapped until all of the splices are checked. Can't say if the CCM is bad until the fuses and splices are checked. This is not my strong point, I expect others will check in.
[/QUOTE] NOW when you say fuses are you pertaining to the ones on the side of the dash ? What would I be looking for with the ones under the dash - Is there one in particula runder the dash that would effect that unit. Found a few wires that were taped up and looked soldered together. I am in the process of re -splicing them together. HOWEVER two - I think one a clear plastic and one black running into the connector that plugs in to unit The black one had a loose shrink wrap on it and nether one has a firm fit into the connector looks like they were changed out at some time in the past. i am working my way up the wires. Do I need to check just those wires from those two connectors ? seems the run into a whole lot of other as you go up. ? I need to learn how to use a multimeter .ONE MORE THING ? IS THERE A WAY TO OPEN THESE CONNECTORS AND CLEAN AND REWIRE INTO THEM . THEY LOOKED SEALED

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest you completely unwrap all of the CCM harness and pull the wires apart to find the splices, any corroded splices need
to be cut back, soldered, and covered with marine grade heat shrink tubing. (You might need to add short wires to replace what you cut out)
Also check ground connections (1 on floor and on "A" Pillar), and check CCM/TCM and "A" Pillar connectors.

Have a good look at this link, before you start. (Note: This is a UK car, the CCM is always on the LHS)

This thread attempts to bring together all the problems regarding water ingress and their solutions.
Water Ingress and Solutions
WELL here's a question. Those wires a really thin - Can I use an 18 gauge to splice to those smaller wires or will that change the electric draw on it. ALSO are butt connectors OK to use - just crimping them together and shrink wrap. - I found the floor ground do I have to remove trim cover to find the other one ? And is there one particular fuse under the dash that might effect this unit > OK LOT OF QUESTIONS - just loan me your brain LOL. This is one wire with a loose wrap on it going right into connector on CCM might be the culprit. ..

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
All connectors can be taken apart. You slide the pink lock out the side and then use a pin removal tool to remove any individual wires. The pin removal tool is available at any auto parts stores. I don't recall all of the specific fuses for the CCM, but most are on the left side of the dash. I think 5, 14 and 34 are some of the important ones. Despite working on tons of Passats, I've never actually had to pull a CCM or check the wiring.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well captain let me say you have been a great help -- And I find it so kind that people from all over the world are willing to help even the novice of mechanics - I😊 thank you for your time and patience - need to get this problem done have someone waiting to buy it.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
I've always liked helping people out. Een when people paid me to work on their cars, I would show them and explain to them what I was doing. Work was much the same way, it was easier for me as a Ramp Agent (foreman/loadmaster) if the new people understood how everything worked while loading the planes.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
The CCM fuses are #14 and #7.
Unless corrosion has run a long way along the wires, you shouldn't need to add any wire.
I recommend that you solder the wires and cover each join with heat shrink tubing.
If you repair any twisted pair wires, maintain the same twist through the join.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK - so I showed my CCM unit to someone in the parts dept at VW - .. I was going to buy a connector and rewire it because the black power wire was in such bad shape. So I opened the box to show the board it didn't take him long to put it in the ruined category. So I didn't need the connector because I will have to go on E- BAY and purchase a used one. with wiring - MY UNIT is 2002 GLX PASSAT WAGON - AUTOMATIC 2.8 30 VALVE V-6 / CCM 959 799 c WITH zm max 50k 214-10 11 31302. H01/ S0003 / NOW there is a unit on ebay - ICO 959 799 c for 50 bucks ----- Has a thirty day return and the site has a very good rating. claiming it fits a 2001 - 2005 - QUESTION - is there anything on this unit that has to match other than the unit number --such as engine number / vin number vehicle type or anything other to make it run.? other than having to have it VAG- COM to match the key fob. SHOULD this thing start if it is wired back properly and any corroded wiring fixed... MAN THIS IS A PAIN IN THE ASS. LOL

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The CCM fuses are #14 and #7.
Unless corrosion has run a long way along the wires, you shouldn't need to add any wire.
I recommend that you solder the wires and cover each join with heat shrink tubing.
If you repair any twisted pair wires, maintain the same twist through the join.
HOPE YOU GET MY LAST POST i PUT ON HERE. -- READY TO GET STARTED

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
The CCM has nothing to do with the engine or transmission.
It controls all functions of the seats, windows, doors, mirrors and maybe a couple of other minor items.
The key is to match the VAG part number. It will look something like this (example only - 3B0 959 799 C)
By chance do you have VCDS - RossTech?
If so, I would try to scan it before you ditch it. Getting the coding from the old unit will make life much smoother when changing to the 'new used' one.
Then when the new one is installed, you can recode it to your original settings.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
In a word, yes. There are different "colors" of the 1C0 959 799 C module, and you have to get the right one. I believe the "color" represents the firmware loaded in the module.

The "color" differ depending on the trim line (folding mirrors or not) and whether the car is a sedan or wagon (and likely country, as well). The Etka I have lists the modules for build dates of 5/02 to 6/05. That date will be on your B-pillar.

Reading between the lines, I believe the distinguishing number is in the second line: ZM max 5DK 008, for example. The 008 is, I think, the "color." For a wagon, those digits would be either:
081 with folding mirrors
080 non-folding mirrors
FWIW, the sedan numbers for those same build dates are:
009 with folding mirrors
008 non-folding mirrors
Not surprisingly, I see a number of 008 CCMs on eBay, since it would be the most common car.

OP, please recheck your CCM--I think you omitted the "color" number in Post #10. Compare to pictures on eBay.

I don't believe VCDS can recode CCMs to a different "color", based on Etka's admonition "order only with color code", as well as this ross-tech post. silly simple question

Any VW parts guys are heartily encouraged to chime in...

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
In a word, yes. There are different "colors" of the 1C0 959 799 C module, and you have to get the right one. I believe the "color" represents the firmware loaded in the module.

The "color" differ depending on the trim line (folding mirrors or not) and whether the car is a sedan or wagon (and likely country, as well). The Etka I have lists the modules for build dates of 5/02 to 6/05. That date will be on your B-pillar.

Reading between the lines, I believe the distinguishing number is in the second line: ZM max 5DK 008, for example. The 008 is, I think, the "color." For a wagon, those digits would be either:

FWIW, the sedan numbers for those same build dates are:

Not surprisingly, I see a number of 008 CCMs on eBay, since it would be the most common car.

OP, please recheck your CCM--I think you omitted the "color" number in Post #10. Compare to pictures on eBay.

I don't believe VCDS can recode CCMs to a different "color", based on Etka's admonition "order only with color code", as well as this ross-tech post. silly simple question

Any VW parts guys are heartily encouraged to chime in...

Well, I was unaware of the color options.

OP, when it comes to the electrical side of things, I would listen to and take stock into what FrescoGreen01.5 has got to say before me any day of the week.
Always impressed by the electrical knowledge he's got.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The CCM has nothing to do with the engine or transmission.
It controls all functions of the seats, windows, doors, mirrors and maybe a couple of other minor items.
The key is to match the VAG part number. It will look something like this (example only - 3B0 959 799 C)
CCM 959 799 c WITH zm max 50k 214-10 11 31302. H01/ S0003
If so, I would try to scan it before you ditch it. Getting the coding from the old unit will make life much smoother when changing to the 'new used' one.
Then when the new one is installed, you can recode it to your original settings.
MY UNIT HAS / 1CO 959 799 c / WITH zm max 50k 214-10 11 31302. H01/ S0003 written under it. I am aware the CCM has nothing to do with the engine BUT the thing will not start with this thing down/ it seems... A you tube showed a guy un hooking the connectors and the car started - not in this case. / I had been able to start it as long as the horn was blowing inside and connected to the old one. But this last time it would not.1- ( 1CO 959 799 c is the used module coming in. YOU -- ( I would try to scan it before you ditch it. Getting the coding from the old unit will make life much smoother when changing to the 'new used' one.)-- ME I ONLY HAVE A CHEAP SCAN TOOL / JUST THE BASICS/ GENERIC CODES. What kind of scanner would I need . And do I hook up the old one again and scan ? is VCDS the professional grade scan tool -- wouldn't know how to use one.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
VCDS has a free version for download here,
Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite

VCDS in my humble opinion is one of the top five things to have in your arsenal of tools if you're going to own a Passat for any length of time.

I'll be honest I don't know what all of the options / limitations are of the Lite version as I own the Pro version. There are number of people here that use the Lite version.
Maybe someone in the know can chime in here. Please.

Yeah the old one would have to be hooked up again to scan for the 'coding', copied down and then code the replacement to the same values as the old one.

As far as I know, the CCM should not interfere with whether the car starts or not. But, as I've said before, I'm not savvy to the electrical side of things on the Passat. I know just enough to be dangerous at best. The mechanical side of things is where my skill set is at.

Paging FrescoGreen01.5 ...

Reactions: chipsouthard

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
As far as I know, the CCM should not interfere with whether the car starts or not. But, as I've said before, I'm not savvy to the electrical side of things on the Passat. I know just enough to be dangerous at best. The mechanical side of things is where my skill set is at.
FYI In models that have alarm system lockout, the CCM can prevent cranking. (Usually but not always, through relay #12)

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
FYI In models that have alarm system lockout, the CCM can prevent cranking. (Usually but not always, through relay #13)
That I was unaware of. Just another point that I don't know much about the electrical system.
That's why I try and refrain from to much advice concerning said topic.

·
Registered
782 Posts
FYI In models that have alarm system lockout, the CCM can prevent cranking. (Usually but not always, through relay #13)
^^^This!
But..... There's one question that hasn't even been asked, much less answered, in this thread:
OP, please define "not starting." Does the engine crank (starter engages, and spins the engine), but not start?
Or, is this a 'no-crank' situation (starter does not engage / operate)?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts