Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from Comcast say that I now have 3Mbps down and 256kbps up (that's double the down speed; up is the same).

I went to DSLReports.com to verify and sure enough....I've tested some heavy pages (just a few I could think of) like MSNBC, EBay etc and they load wicked fast. Anyone have some other heavy pages I can check out?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
its definitely faster..I've been in the 3.2 mbps range....still though they could lower my rates thats for sure :poke:

·
Registered
52 Posts
damn you Jim Dolan and the rest of Cablevision! i want faster speeds like comcast.

The town i live in now has two parts. the "township" and the "boro"

township gets only cablevision, boro gets comcast. freaking monopoly's

jayme

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
yea it is deffinatly sweet.

Lower rates, would be good, but atleast they sped it up, since they were holding the prices steady.

-Nick

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Go to the Quicktime trailers at apple.com and download to your hearts content. Wicked fast d/l speeds (400~500KBps sustained throughput) DSL Reports has me pegged at about 2.9Mbps, and I can't really find a slow part of the internet anymore. 8)

And Joe, technically Comcast did lower your rates, they cut the $/MB rate in half. :p

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
jwil said:
And Joe, technically Comcast did lower your rates, they cut the $/MB rate in half. :p
at over 100 bucks a month for tv and modem I consider it owed to me

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
is this ok

2004-03-06 09:46:34 EST: 2645 / 192
Your download speed : 2645293 bps, or 2645 kbps.
A 322.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 192196 bps, or 192 kbps.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maniac_productions said:
i guess they had to do something to compete with Verizon's new DSL for only $29.99 a month. ...i'm actually thinking about switching. DSL is more reliable anyway....
Not trying to start a war (really)....but DSL has never compared price wise.

Verizon DSL = $29.99 (and that's an intro price) for 320kbps

Comcast Cable = $50 (I pay $90 but that includes TV as well) for 3Mbps

So yeah, DSL is cheaper but to get the same speed as cable with DSL you pay a CRAP load more (at least that's how it was the last time I looked into it) I should probably STRESS that last part though...I haven't looked into the comparison in a long time....maybe things have changed. But again, back when I was comparing, everything (Verizon, Qwest, etc etc) was way more expensive if I wanted the same speed as cable internet.

You are right though if you mean "reliability" in terms of steady speeds....but in the 3 years I've had cable it's gone out twice for about an hour and the speeds have been very very consistent. Just wanted to point out the facts for anyone else reading this.

·
Registered
902 Posts
At the same time, a lot of people do not use that bandwith. It's according to use. You will not notice the difference checking email, surfing the web. So might as well save $20 of month if your not going to use it.

If your really download and multimedia happy, then I can see someone using the bandwith, I do.

·
Registered
551 Posts
dsl sucks. cable rocks.

the downside on the speed increase, is the rate increase... they may not happen at the same time, but they'll get you hooked on the 3Mb line and then in a year, jack the price 15 bucks or something....

mine was biggie-sized from a 1.5 Mbit line to a 2, and the 5 dollar increase was only a couple months away... (and they plain ol' did away with the 1.5 speed, so now, you either pay the extra 5 bucks or go down to 500Kb line)...

bastards...

but the speed is sweet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts