Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my B5 Passat painted. The color is a real cool bluish purple with a pearl in it. Well it looked good at first, but then it started showing signs of orange peel. I recently took it back to the paint shop and they said that it need a "color sanding" and it would cost $200 to have it done. I assume that this is simular to wet sanding. My question is will this jack up my clearcoat? I already get scratches and swirl marks easily (its a dark color). Also is $200 alot to pay to have this done???

Thanks
OppJonez

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Color sanding (or wet sanding) simply sands down the high points in the clear that create the orange peel look. You do lose some clear (very little, but some) but what's left is smooth as a baby's ass. It also won't affect your ability (or inability) to detail the paint correctly. Scratches and swils have nothing to do with the paint itself, it's what you're doing to detail it.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
555 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
i would have thought that they would have wet sanded it after they painted it
They should have. Especially with what sounds like a high end paint job.
I would ask them why they didnt, maybe get it a little cheaper?
And just like Paul said, if a professional does it your clearcoat will be fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jeff
Well here is the deal with the paint. It was done by a local mom and pop shop that is owned by a family friend. He did the paint and some body work (when I was test driving it after I put the rims on one fell off and did some serious damage. Lack of a hub centric spacer ring that I was never told I needed.) any way thats a whole other story. All the work was done for cost. The orange peel did not show up untill a week or two after I had picked up the car. I am taking it back to have the rear bumper repaired ( an little old lady backed into me and Allstate sucks.) and mentioned the orange peel to him he said he would color sand it for $200 and since he has to re mix the paint he will also paint the engine covers.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
This is what wet sanding will get you:

There is a bit more to it that described above, but I don't feel like typing so maybe I'll add it later. FWIW, the wetsanding done on my car was about $1400 worth of work, so I'm a bit suspicious of the $200 quote you got. It's alot of work and if it isn't done right it will ruin your paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.