Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
You may be better off looking at the pay of College head coaches. I'm sure college preseidents pale overall in comparison the D1 coaches.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
I'm not sure about now, but guess who the highest paid employee of the state of Connecticut was about 5 years ago...

hint: think basketball.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Virginia's state laws prevent this from being abused too much.

Probably explains why we're doomed to mid-level success with VT or UVA.

That being said, the head football coaches still rival or outpace the President's salary, especially after the "endorsements" are factored in.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
LOL! What kind of endorsements would the College Presidents get away?
I dunno, maybe they get a kickback from the Bowl Championship Series for being able to stand in front of a press conference with a straight face and tell reporters a Div. I Football Playoff would "hurt the academics" for the players.

I just find it amusing that our state laws restrict how much coaches salaries can be from the state, but have no restrictions on how much they can make from other sources. So they are often paid 3, 4, 5 times their base salaries for participating in the weekly radio call-in show, stumping for the local car dealers, etc. In most cases its a carefully orchestrated package of benefits to make it somewhat competitive with other programs that don't have similar restraints on the base pay. I don't have a problem with them making whatever the market will allow, I just think the State should stop being silly about it. The money still comes from the Athletic Department, whether it gets funneled through an "advertising deal" or paid directly.

2,551 Posts
I would say a college president's number one function would be to draw in more funding for the school, be it from talking up alumni, private investors, etc.. You could also apply that job function to successful coaches through ticket sales, alumni donations, school-affiliated clothing, etc..

So they rake in plenty of money for the school to justify their salary, and the salary my be kept competitive, else the talented and well-qualified presidents would go to the private sector.

Heck, the execs at Goldman have a base salary of $600,000.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just find it amusing that our state laws restrict how much coaches salaries can be from the state, but have no restrictions on how much they can make from other sources. So they are often paid 3, 4, 5 times their base salaries for participating in the weekly radio call-in show, stumping for the local car dealers, etc. In most cases its a carefully orchestrated package of benefits to make it somewhat competitive with other programs that don't have similar restraints on the base pay. I don't have a problem with them making whatever the market will allow, I just think the State should stop being silly about it. The money still comes from the Athletic Department, whether it gets funneled through an "advertising deal" or paid directly.
Here's just one example that I remember reading about:

Ralph Friedgen, University of Maryland Football coach

$252,000 - Base salary
$551,000 - personal appearances on radio and television spots
$300,000 - going to public and private fundraising activities
$200,000+ - appearing in connection with university service, equipment and apparel agreements

http://media.www.diamondbackonline....es.In.His.Contract.Making.Him.O-2509345.shtml

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
This just in:

Michigan football practice was delayed two hours late this morning
after a player reported finding an unknown white powdery substance on
the practice field. Head coach Rich Rodriguez immediately suspended
practice while police and federal agents were called to investigate.

After a complete analysis, forensic experts determined the white
substance, unknown to the players, was the goal line. Practice was
resumed after special agents decided the team was unlikely to
encounter the substance again.

(this went over well with West Virginia fans recently)

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Appropriate? I don't know. Too high? At public schools, yes!

They consistently fail to control costs and continue to waste taxpayer money. They're well compensated, averaging $427,000 a year, and their salaries continue to increase (7.6% this year). The highest paid public president was at Ohio State and was paid $1.3M! Remember that often they are provided housing and other expenses.

At the same time, the cost of tuition has skyrocketed. It's increasing 4 times the rate of inflation. Over the last 20 years tuition at public institutions has increased over 400%! (Tuition and Fee Increases Since 1970 ) Those in academia, including the "CEO"s (ie. president) are responsible for managing this. It's a problem. We are at a point where it really doesn't make monetary sense to purse a number of degree programs. Is that the goal of university level programs?

The fact that they're are paid from taxpayer funds means that we have a say in the matter and we need to be able to hold them accountable. Unless a president is taking actions to address this issue, they are part of the problem. This is a seriously under-reported issue...probably because it's not a politically correct position to take. :thumbdown

BusinessWeek: College payday: presidents' salaries up last year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts