Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Passat World Community. I’m trying to replace my air intake system with a Aftermarket cold air intake. My question is: Which brand is a decent one and not a too pricey one?

Please if you have done this upgrade or have any experience with it, feel free to throw some suggestions here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the AEM and I like how it looks under the hood. I bought one because of the discount I got from 4wheelonline. This CAI is a little louder but not annoying at all. I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the AEM and I like how it looks under the hood. I bought one because of the discount I got from 4wheelonline. This CAI is a little louder but not annoying at all. I noticed a slight improvement in throttle response.
Great answer! 👍🏽
Thanks for your recommendation and for giving me an idea of how my car will look with that Cold Air Intake. I really appreciate it. I will take a look at that website right now. 💪🏽

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked it up and visit that website and they don’t have the Cold Air Intake for my car. They don’t have newer cars cold air intake kits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Passat World Community. I’m trying to replace my air intake system with a Aftermarket cold air intake. My question is: Which brand is a decent one and not a too pricey one?

Please if you have done this upgrade or have any experience with it, feel free to throw some suggestions here.

Thanks!
so I just got my Passat but I know something about the car’s intake. The intake is better than any other aftermarket cold air intake. Reasoning is that the stock intake take actual cold air from the out side of the car and takes it to the turbo to the intake manifold. If you got a k&n or AEM they take the air from the engine and that air is hotter than stoke. It may have better airflow but you’d not only be spending more money but loosing power in the long run. If you want more flow just get a K&N air filter. The filters increase air flow without having to get a tune and/causing a check engine light

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,176 Posts
so I just got my Passat but I know something about the car’s intake. The intake is better than any other aftermarket cold air intake. Reasoning is that the stock intake take actual cold air from the out side of the car and takes it to the turbo to the intake manifold. If you got a k&n or AEM they take the air from the engine and that air is hotter than stoke. It may have better airflow but you’d not only be spending more money but loosing power in the long run. If you want more flow just get a K&N air filter. The filters increase air flow without having to get a tune and/causing a check engine light
And clean your MAF more often than normal. Even a stock K&N can deposit some aerosolized oil onto the MAF over time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I already got me a Cold Air Intake and the filter I’m using is a K&N one. I really appreciate you for taking your time and for giving me some good advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info. I already got me a Cold Air Intake and the filter I’m using is a K&N one. I really appreciate you for taking your time and for giving me some good advice.
No problem man. Side note Since you’ve put a cold air intake make sure you go get a tune so you don’t throw a code. And just because you put an intake in doesn’t mean you’ll get more HP. Actually you may get a decrease of power. Just a FYI.

Edit: I honestly was going to get one too until I did more research and asked some of my mechanic Teachers.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,176 Posts
No problem man. Side note Since you’ve put a cold air intake make sure you go get a tune so you don’t throw a code. And just because you put an intake in doesn’t mean you’ll get more HP. Actually you may get a decrease of power. Just a FYI.

Edit: I honestly was going to get one too until I did more research and asked some of my mechanic Teachers.
And what code will they get? You don't need to do anything after putting on a hot air intake. Not even a tune. Who told you that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Good to know, thank you brother

·
Registered
27 Posts
And what code will they get? You don't need to do anything after putting on a hot air intake. Not even a tune. Who told you that?
Okay so I go to this school called Universal Technical Institute, basically a car school.
they have master techs there and I asked about a cold air intake. The tech I asked told me this “if you get a cold air intake to get a tune because it will throw a lean code in some cars” also he said something that the stock air intake brings in the air from the out side which is colder than a K&N intake system. The K&N has better flow yes, but they bring in hot air for a lot of cars.The stock has better/colder air. If you get a filter from a K&N like brand it will increase your air flow and not throw a code. And the K&N is not best for all cars. I personally wanted one but they are too expensive and rather have cold air going into the intake than a lot of hot air. Also with the tune, if you don’t get one it’s possible to gain or loose power depending on the car. Getting a tune will help the car give better response to the driver after putting one on. Note I said depending on the car. Not all cars need a tune yes but some do. Cars with turbos might need more than others. I’m no master tech but I looked around and asked.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,176 Posts
Ok, that's a very broad brush they were painting with. Absolutely no truth to that with these cars. It will never throw a lean code as long as it installed correctly and there are no leaks after the MAF sensor. All an aftermarket intake (cone filter and pipe) does it let it breathe easier. If set up correctly with proper heat shielding and ducting (basically mimicking the stock airbox/ducts), you can get more potential flow from a cold air intake setup because of a higher surface area and less restrictive filter media.

The stock setup on most VWs is pretty good with plenty of filter surface area to accommodate even a basic tune.

Reactions: JBM_Vw

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I
Okay so I go to this school called Universal Technical Institute, basically a car school.
they have master techs there and I asked about a cold air intake. The tech I asked told me this “if you get a cold air intake to get a tune because it will throw a lean code in some cars” also he said something that the stock air intake brings in the air from the out side which is colder than a K&N intake system. The K&N has better flow yes, but they bring in hot air for a lot of cars.The stock has better/colder air. If you get a filter from a K&N like brand it will increase your air flow and not throw a code. And the K&N is not best for all cars. I personally wanted one but they are too expensive and rather have cold air going into the intake than a lot of hot air. Also with the tune, if you don’t get one it’s possible to gain or loose power depending on the car. Getting a tune will help the car give better response to the driver after putting one on. Note I said depending on the car. Not all cars need a tune yes but some do. Cars with turbos might need more than others. I’m no master tech but I looked around and asked.
I appreciate your input on this. I already went to a Auto Shop and they do Tune ups and Dynos. I talk to one of them and he told me I don’t need to tune my car after I installed that cold air intake. He said if it was a Japanese or American car, then most likely I will have to tune it, but for these type of cars I don’t have to worry about tuning them or worrying about throwing a code because it won’t do it. I really feel the throttle response change, now it responds way faster and more powerful, but at the mean while the more you hit the gas, the faster it will burn some fuel. So, it has it’s prons and cons. Other than that I’m very satisfied with this cold air intake. It works pretty good. Thanks for your advice and opinion as well. I really appreciate that a lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, that's a very broad brush they were painting with. Absolutely no truth to that with these cars. It will never throw a lean code as long as it installed correctly and there are no leaks after the MAF sensor. All an aftermarket intake (cone filter and pipe) does it let it breathe easier. If set up correctly with proper heat shielding and ducting (basically mimicking the stock airbox/ducts), you can get more potential flow from a cold air intake setup because of a higher surface area and less restrictive filter media.

The stock setup on most VWs is pretty good with plenty of filter surface area to accommodate even a basic tune.
Excellent answer, I really appreciate it brother. I got told the same thing at the Auto shop I went to. Thank you once again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I see what you mean

Excellent answer, I really appreciate it brother. I got tood the same thing at the Auto shop I went to. Thank you once again.
I see what you mean my guy. But there are some cars that do throw codes, not a whole lot. And tunes do help because we have turbos and it’s more modern than a ol Ford for something.

Also if you plan on getting performance parts for your cars you should get a tune or the part is useless. This is including intakes or fuel pumps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts