Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get make my own Cold Air Intake for my 1.8T Passat. What should I watch out for?
My plan is to disconnect the air intake line from the right side of the engine compartment and put in a K&N Cone filter. Is it just as simple as that. I am also going to make a heat shield with stailesss steel sheetmetal to prevent hot air to get back into the engine.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
jnaing - welcome to the club!

use the search feature and do a search for "colorado air box" or "colorado air mod" :thumbup:

in general there are mixed opinions on whether or not a cone-filter CAI is useful with the turbo. isn't the air already pretty cold in vancouver, anyway? :weirdo:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
no, the maf is inside your airbox and the igniter unit is on top of your airbox, you would need to incorporate those into your system. i just got the evo motorsports intake and i am very impressed with it. check it out, www.evoms.com
nenad will probably jump in soon, he uses bmc (is that right) intake system.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Because of the location of our turbos and air intakes......your cold air intake will act as a hot air intake....you will lose power....others have proved it....

Now if you had a GTI, Jetta, NB or TT....then we are talking.

But I would love to see you prove us all wrong!

Stock airbox is good for 250hp.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
passaturbonium said:
Because of the location of our turbos and air intakes......your cold air intake will act as a hot air intake....you will lose power....others have proved it....

Now if you had a GTI, Jetta, NB or TT....then we are talking.

But I would love to see you prove us all wrong!

Stock airbox is good for 250hp.
my evo intake with it's heatshield and some custom heatshielding of my own stays extremely cool to the touch after four hours of hard driving. same with the intake manifold. before the factory box and the intake manifold picked up some serious heat, i think the intake and some heat shields is the way to go. i will post pics tomorrow using the laser thermometer at work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the setup from the pictures. I will probablly use the two intake hoses like what dzb5 did for his car.
dzb5, where did you get the heat shield material? I would like to get something similar.
Another question is how hard is it to take out the original air box out of the car?
Is K&N filter good for the car. I've heard that the filter has oil and it screws up the mass air flow sensor. Should I be concerned about it too much.
Thanks for all the tips. I will try it out soon and let you guys know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a dumb question...
So by putting in the CAI the car makes a "pssss" sound?
How much more power would i get out of the car? Would it be noticable?
How does the CAI effect the fuel millage?
There is another air intake for engine on the right side of the engine. Should I also change that into a cone filter? Is that allowed?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
passaturbonium said:
SHow me the numbers....and I will believe!
BMC CDA 85-150 in carbon box
www.bmcairfilters.com
www.westcoastspeed.com
http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisDyno.asp
Tests carried out bymember Geri (also Moderator on www.passat3B.de)
Copy of his mail after tests
"Yes, BMC is realy fantastic! As I said, never had such good amounts on
MAF. You have to know that with the OEM Intake you wont have more then 145-150mg/H at high REVs (measured at two differnet OEM V6s). With the K&N Kone by best ever was a 164mg/H, now I can reach this amount in even low REVs when accelerating. By best amount now is 174mg/H - and this with my old MAF Sensor (the newer one is still on K&N Cone, will change soon). And Airintake-temperature is nearly like outside Temp, only 1 or 2 Deg higher. With OEM Intake you will have about 5 Deg higher Temp than outside. With K&N the Temp was at high Revs about 15 Deg higher than outside. I was told that a decrease of 10 Deg results in a plus of 3% more Power.....*ggg* In this case OEM Intake is not sooo bad."

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^Okay, so there is some marginal gain for the V6... how about for an otherwise-stock 1.8T, where the turbo is sucking as hard as it needs to to generate the required boost? (If it "pushes" air on the manifold side, it must be "sucking" air on the airbox side, right?)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
T-engines are benefiting much more than NA engines, from any type of mod that is common for both type of cars, i.e. chip,exaust,air filter,larger throttle body
So, whatever type of filter is choosen it will give more gain on t-car than on NA (aside open cone filters,they shoud be not used at all)
All gains on NA engines are marginal, aside SC.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
That seems counter-intuitive to me -- In a NA engine, the cylinder displacement is the only force creating vacuum to pull air through the airbox, so restrictive filters and such lower the airflow drawn by the engine, while the engine with a fixed displacement can do nothing about it.

However, in the 1.8T, the ECU can spool up the turbo as needed to draw air through the airbox and push it into the cylinders. As long as the ECU is making realistic boost requests... such as 10 psi in a stock 1.8T. If you are chipped etc., and are asking a K03 to pump out 18psi, I can see how the airbox restriction is a big factor. The K03 just can't spool up and scoop air well enough to draw that much air through a restrictive airbox.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
passaturbonium-theoreticly, I would say that this kind of CAI (not neccessary BMC) will do good to T-engine as well. Why? first of all- fairly good air pressure,second- good density of air ( not heating up like in other systems,especially open ones)
What are the obstacles to air flow:
intake snorkel design
airbox
filter
MAF protetcion nets (2 of them)
connectig duct
throttle body

To know what to change/improve, you must measure at all this points, air pressure in front of them and then after them, to see where is pressure drop biggest.
With air filter you can play more on Torque gain than HP. Personaly, my goal is as much Torque as possible on low and mid revs, since I am not racing with this car I do not need to much gains on high revs. Anyhow, almost all mods that we make are affecting high RPMS performance (we do not use that often, in daily driving).I found that filter itself is restrictive.I swap first for JR drop in and throw out of car 2 months later.Than I put KN drop in, this is much better. When I stumbled on BMC, Iwas lucky that some business partners of me from Italy all also in modding, They show me some of their measures and provided this CAI like gift, so I put it and I am satisfied. If you count money- diff between KN drop in and this hardly is justified with carbon box, snorkels,etc. If you look pure performance, this CAI gives edge over KN drop in. Would be very nce if some of 1.8T owners could make some measures with BMC and stock box.We could than stop all our debates and have some result.
Tests carried out by UK magazine "Fast Car in June issue of 1996 were measuring pressure drops at airflow of 250cfm (on Peugeot 205 GTI).They measured Filter efficiency, dust capacity and pressure drop (at 250cfm). result was that pleated cotton filters have smallest pressure drop (good for engine) and they are very effective in filtering, but are becoming very quick blocked(small dust capacity).
Foam filters have 15-35% less efficiency but dust capacity is better than cotton. Worst was OE filter. Tested was 7 aftermarket filters (4 foam and 3 cotton)+OE filter.
This story is not showing HP gains but showing that carefully choosen filter can improve yours car behaviour(behaviour because you can not see more than 1-3HP on some cars, but torque that is improved.

pete1-I agree with you, only point is if there is enough air to be pulled when ECU order it to turbo to "suck" it.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^Exactly... I guess my point is that the airbox does not seem to be the "weakest link" in a stock 1.8T. -- You can get more "bang for your buck" by modding other areas first.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts