Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 17 and I bought an 06 passat 2.0t from a neighbor for only 500$ with 103,000 miles. The transmission is slipping from 1st to 2nd downshifting and upshifting. So I don’t want to put too much money into the car but I wanted to lower it an inch to an in and a half. Are coil spring lowering clamps worth it if installed properly and maybe use an upgraded bolt for durability ? If anyone can give me any information on this please let me know. Thanks !

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,023 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, but sure, go ahead. The problem I see is that the spring could compress further in a bump and the clamps could move. This would place uneven pressure on the spring which can cause fatigue and breaking of the spring in extreme cases.

I would also caution you that car springs are extremely powerful and if that little clamp lets go while you are under there wrenching on it, I wouldn't want to be the one that has to call 911.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't recommend it, but sure, go ahead. The problem I see is that the spring could compress further in a bump and the clamps could move. This would place uneven pressure on the spring which can cause fatigue and breaking of the spring in extreme cases.

I would also caution you that car springs are extremely powerful and if that little clamp lets go while you are under there wrenching on it, I wouldn't want to be the one that has to call 911.
Ok thanks. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
money probably better spent sorting out the transmission , check the fluid level using outlined servicing protocol, the 09G has the same procedure as the B5 platform's 0V1's .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts