Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28,208 Posts
Never used them, but they do look like they would work. You would need to drill a hole in the trailing arm for the air line. I have used air shocks on a previous wagon and they were great. Another option would be to find the VW heavy load rear springs, or even 1BE VW springs with a higher weight rating. I had 1BE springs on my sedan at one point, they do hold weight quite well without being overly stiff.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I had a similar air bag helper springs on a Saab Turbo, and they were great: with the car loaded, the springs kept the car level rather than down by the rear. When level, it handled much better than it did with the rear end sagging.

Instead of having a schrader valve under the bodywork to add and remove air, I plumbed the bags to an onboard cheap air pump that lived under the back seat. The air line from the pump to the bags had a tee at the pump end, and the branch line ran up into the glovebox. In the glovebox, the line connected to a schrader valve and a pressure gauge. The pump was controlled by a pushbutton switch, also mounted in the glovebox.

Thus, adding air, or removing air, or changing the amount of air could be done while sitting in the car: push the button to operate the pump and increase pressure, or push the valve stem to release pressure. The pressure gauge allowed me to see system pressure easily. It was (I thought) seriously elegant and easy to use.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Never used them, but they do look like they would work. You would need to drill a hole in the trailing arm for the air line. I have used air shocks on a previous wagon and they were great. Another option would be to find the VW heavy load rear springs, or even 1BE VW springs with a higher weight rating. I had 1BE springs on my sedan at one point, they do hold weight quite well without being overly stiff.
is there a way to tell what springs are what by looking at them? my wagon dosnt squat when loaded down quite heavily, id like to know what ive got. also, i plan to put a trailer hitch on the car this summer, if i have the softer springs i would like to switch them over.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've used them and they're great. Pumped up to 25PSI they take the squat out when towing. I usually keep them at 15PSI normally and they stiffen the rear enough to allow for 3 250lb dudes to sit in the back without squat. They've been installed now for over 2 years and still going strong.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had a similar air bag helper springs on a Saab Turbo, and they were great: with the car loaded, the springs kept the car level rather than down by the rear. When level, it handled much better than it did with the rear end sagging.

Instead of having a schrader valve under the bodywork to add and remove air, I plumbed the bags to an onboard cheap air pump that lived under the back seat. The air line from the pump to the bags had a tee at the pump end, and the branch line ran up into the glovebox. In the glovebox, the line connected to a schrader valve and a pressure gauge. The pump was controlled by a pushbutton switch, also mounted in the glovebox.

Thus, adding air, or removing air, or changing the amount of air could be done while sitting in the car: push the button to operate the pump and increase pressure, or push the valve stem to release pressure. The pressure gauge allowed me to see system pressure easily. It was (I thought) seriously elegant and easy to use.
Absolute genius! I HAVE to do this.

·
Registered
28,208 Posts
is there a way to tell what springs are what by looking at them? my wagon dosnt squat when loaded down quite heavily, id like to know what ive got. also, i plan to put a trailer hitch on the car this summer, if i have the softer springs i would like to switch them over.
Unless you installed other springs, the 1BE and 1BB heavy load springs were not readily available in the US. the needed to be ordered and imported and only some dealers would do that. There is a thread with the spring type and color markings, but they look just like other VW springs.

This might help: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...e-part-numbers-1bb-heavy-duty-suspension.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts