Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be old news but I just got a letter yesterday asking me to join a class action suit brought by a Wendy Sheanin in CA against VWOA for coil pack failures. Thankfully I never did have any coil pack problems and had them replaced under the recall anyway, so I am passing. Thought I'd share this.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
thats bs, why would she sue??they replace em for free :crazy:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW I should have mentioned that the suit is for the expenses incurred by the coil pack failure ... I'll OCR scan the text and post it here if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Is this an issue for all B5/5.5 owners? I bought an '03 last spring and haven't been informed of any recall... Did they fix the problem by the time my car was sold? What issues were there with the coil pack?
Sorry about all the questions, I just haven't heard about this yet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know some '03 are part of the recall. I also have an '03 1.8T but haven't received any recall letter (nor a class action suit letter). Does anybody know what model/VIN exactly are affected by the coil pack recall?

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
pamploner said:
I know some '03 are part of the recall. I also have an '03 1.8T but haven't received any recall letter (nor a class action suit letter). Does anybody know what model/VIN exactly are affected by the coil pack recall?
I believe it covered models with build dates before August 2002. Check the manufacuturer's plate on the driver's door jamb for your build date. I believe cars built after that date had the "J" version of the coil packs, while previously built cars had the problematic "H" coil.

I haven't seen the class action suit papers yet either, although my car had the H coils. I did receive the recall notice and I had them replaced during a routine service visit. They had shown no signs of problems while they were installed in my car. The "J's" I have now seem fine, too. I believe the current coil pack designation is now up to "L".

·
Registered
281 Posts
More Recall Info

From AudiUsa.com
http://www.audiusa.com/contact_audi/0,3802,categoryId-11_,00.html#64110
=================

From Consumer Report:
---------------------------
Volkswagen, Audi recall

Problem: Some 530,000 2001 to early 2003 Volkswagen and Audis have been recalled because of potentially defective ignition coils that could lead to a partial loss of engine power, according to the automakers.

Through dealer service reports, the automakers noticed that the coils in the suspect vehicles were failing at a higher-than-normal rate. If a coil fails, the "check-engine" light will blink and the car's performance may become rough, possibly to the point of losing some power. Neither Volkswagen nor the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration consider the coil failure to be a safety issue. VW says that roadside assistance is available for anyone who does not feel comfortable driving with a car that has a failed ignition coil.

Products: The recall includes the Audi TT and A4, Volkswagen Golf/GTI, Jetta, New Beetle, and Passat--all with 1.8-liter engines. The recall also extends to the Passat with W8 engine, all Volkswagens with the 2.8-liter VR6, and all cars with an Audi 3.0-liter V6. The 2.8-liter V6 Passat is not affected by this recall. The majority of affected vehicles are 2001 and 2002 models. Only about 36,000 2003 vehicles are involved.

What to do: Letters went out to consumers at the end of January 2003 notifying them of the problem, Volkswagen spokesman Steve Keyes said. Car owners should make an appointment with their dealer. At present, VW is giving priority to those who have had an ignition-coil failure: broken coils will be replaced immediately. If the car has suffered a second failure, all the coils will be replaced. By March 2003, VW expects to be able to replace all ignition coils on a car if only one has failed.

In order to minimize inconvenience, Volkswagen and Audi dealers will offer alternative transportation at no cost while repairs are made, the company says.

For more information call Volkswagen at 800-822-8987 or Audi at 800-822-2834.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I want to join it! Love the car, hate the company... this is one way to teach them how to take care of thier customers.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
pamploner said:
As Altair said cars MANUFACTURED after August 02 have the updated J coils - that does not mean that the dealer did not swap them out to service problem Passats because of the severe shortage at the time. I would check the coils to make sure they are the J or L versions. I have a July 02 built 03 and the dealer replaced mine with L's.

·
Registered
390 Posts
InkBlue said:
I want to join it! Love the car, hate the company... this is one way to teach them how to take care of thier customers.
This love hate relationship ... Ain't it a bitch!!!! LOL sorry if i'm trying to be funny.. I've got the same feeling.. great car hate the service.. thats why i bought the bentley .. if i can fix it no monkeys come near my car with a wrench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was driving back to FL from Michigan when my coil pack went. It was a Friday night and of course service was not open till monday. I was stick in Indiana all weekend and I missed work on that Monday. But I saw it as a blessing because I broke down in South Bend and I got to go the the Tire Rack headquarters :bow:

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
What a load of crap. This is another low for our lawsuit happy society. A manufacturing defect occurred, was eventually recognized, and made right by VW. Sure they were slow about it, and their sales and reputation have suffered as a result. Some may have incurred financial losses as a result (ie stranded without car). But no one died, nothing exploded, no one got molested by a priest, hot coffee was not spilled, etc. I guarantee you some group of lawyers is getting a big chunk of VW's cash, and I guarantee VW will pass the cost on to you!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would never join this lawsuit. What a load of crap! So VW made a mistake. I have no hard feelings there, even though my dealer had to fix the problem twice. They had it back to me the same day I brought it in, and in the end the problem was fixed.

If there were recurring problems, I might be upset. Problems were fixed in a timely manner, at least for me, and I was back on the road in no time. I think it's some of the dealers, not VWOA. I love my service department. As a matter of fact, I've gotta call them and schedule my 20,000 mile servicing for next weekend!

·
Registered
292 Posts
From the Class action noice:

Volkswagen will pay $2.85 Million into a settlement fund that will be used (a) to compensate vehicle owner or lessees who had to have ingition coils replaced at a dealer before announcement of the service actions; (b) pay administrative cost associated with this settlement; and (c) pay the attorneys' fees and expences that the court awards to plantiff's councel....

...who have agreed to limit the application for fee's and expences to $700,000, which is less that 25% of the ammount to be paid by VW in the settlement. :roll:

...For example, based on a 50% claim rate and an equil division between cash and dealer credit claiments would receive either approximately $33.83 in cash or $38.90 in dealer credit for each failure experianced.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH...

So you are not going to get rich and neither is the lady who filed the suit. The only way anyone other that the attorney's are going to get a substantial amount of $$ is if very few people join the class. The less people that join the greater the share of the $2.15 (after the fees of $700,000 are paid) each will get.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have just scanned the text of the suit pamphlet into 2 pdf files but I do not have anywhere to host them. I don't think I can embed them here in this forum - can someone "donate" some room on their site for this? PM me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts