Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

codes: p1411,p1423

28090 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  FrescoGreen01.5
i got my codes down from 6 to 2.
the codes left are:
p1411 and p1423

they are for bank 1 and bank 2 SAiP.

so far ive checked my saip, its perfect.
then the plastic hoses , perfect.
then vacuum hoses - all brand new

now all i have left is the N112 Valves and possibly egr valves.

since i am getting codes for both bank 1 and 2 secondary air , is it possible the problem is the N112 solenoid valves?
what are the odds of both going out at the same time?
i need help to pinpoint the problem , so if anyone has experienced this and has a solution.
or if anyone knows what my problem could be, please let me know.
THANKS EVERYONE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
:) any help is appreciated in pinpointing my issue.
How are you sure the pump is still working (i.e. blowing air)?
the saip? ive tested it. its pulling air very good. and ive gotten a new one as a replacement and it was the same. so now im sitting on an extra SAIP.

anyone??
So if you pop the plastic tubing from the SAIP loose where it attaches to the metal tube at the front of the engine, you get good flow there? I'm just trying to be sure I understand. I could easily see both combi valve crudding up and if you had a CEL for a while, they may or may not have happened at exactly the same time.

You can probably unload the extra pump in the classifieds. I was looking for one a few years back.
ive had the CEL for almost a year. and smog time is in a month.
and i cant smog it with a CEL. so im trying to pinpoint this issue.
yes i took the plastic tube off the saip and it was sucking air really good. im positive its not the saip,the hoses ect.
and i just replaced both oxygen sensors up front.

someone mentioned that if theres codes for both banks then its probably a relay or the n112 solenoids. i tested the relay and its fine.
so now the big question .... n112 valves or combi valves?
what could possibly be throwing bank 1 and 2 at the same time.
You could always bypass the n112 valves for a couple of weeks and see. If I undrstand things correctly and the n112s are the issue, it should cause the combis to be open all the time and if everything else is working, the CEL should go out after something like 8 cold starts. If not, the combis are likely seized closed.
You could always bypass the n112 valves for a couple of weeks and see. If I undrstand things correctly and the n112s are the issue, it should cause the combis to be open all the time and if everything else is working, the CEL should go out after something like 8 cold starts. If not, the combis are likely seized closed.
how do i bypass the n112 valves? just remove them and connect the hoses with clamps? or how?
also if the combi valves or n112 are clogged or shut closed. would it make the car do anything abnormal?
or are there no symptoms?
You wouldn't notice any performance problems other than the CEL. To bypass, I would just hook the combis up to a constant vacuum source. You could build a little splice to hook up the two pieces of vacuum hose that connect to the n112 or just run a line from the combi directly to a source.
i bought a vacuum test kit. im going to test it tonight or tomorrow morning and see if its seized up. thanks!! ill report back once i do.
Did you ever figure this out? I've been working the same codes for years. I concluded the air passageways were carbon plugged.
Also be sure the SAIP is actually running on cold start when commanded by the ECM. The relay that switches power to the SAIP is undersized, so the contacts burn up after about 10 years (based on my late B5.5, owned since new). It's the 373 relay in the ECM box (not under the dash).
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.