Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Im loosing hope, sleep and to be honest my mind too..
To be clear, im not a mechanic and bougth that 2003 passat 2.8 v6 4 motion.
Huge freaking mistake. I will never do that again . Thats about the worst car i ever owned .
I had it like for two months and already spent so much time and cash on it that its almost more than what i paid for it . I just dealt with p0010. P0011 and p0021 . After trying to replace both cct and breakkng both tensioning tools i figured i would change only the selenoids since i couldnt replace the cct on that day .like in a mini miracle the code didnt come back .. For 24h that is ... Today after driving like 50miles so happy i finally cleared those issues the check engine light came back on ,i thought the selenoids were not the issue and i really need to replace both ccts, but to my surpise the new codes are p0172 and p0175. The engine is running rich . The old codes are gone .. So i go online again and they say to clean the maf.. ( i changed it like a month ago and cleaned it again like two weeks ago so i dont think its the issue) but then the list of possible causes for those codes is so freaking long that i really dont know if i should dive into it again or just trash this piece of crap . Im european and almost ashamed of the quality of what became vw ...the car has 110k and i hoped it would serve us well for a while but its obviously shiesse!!!! Any intelligent and knowledgable person in here to help ?

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
For starters sorry to hear about your headache with this car. I've purchased 3 Passat's (same version as yours) that were in horrible shape mechanically. I've worked on these cars for a number of years, so I've got a slight advantage there. But none the less these cars were in horrible shape and would barely run. Matter of fact one of them didn't run at all.
At 110k miles, even a severely neglected car should be able to be brought back to decent working order without breaking the bank.
Passat's are good cars but they do have some quirks about them. Learning what those quirks are and how to deal with them is key.
It's the old adage, love / hate relationship.

P0172 and P0175 are the same thing. P0172 refers to Bank #1 while P0175 refers to Bank #2.
Yes, it's a long list of potential causes and might be a little intimidating.
I acknowledge you're not a mechanic so let's try to break this down so you can get your head wrapped around this and get things resolved.

Firstly, can you post up some under the hood pictures?

Looking at some pictures can reveal how the car has been taken care of or neglected.
Looking for pictures that show condition of the corrugated plastic hoses towards the back driver's side of the engine.
There's also a long-corrugated hose that runs from the front passenger's side of the engine across the front of the engine (over the coil pack) and then to the back driver's side corner of the engine.

These cars are notorious for needing the EVAP system refreshed, especially at this age. If this was never done, I'll gander to say it surely is part of the problem.

Let's see what you've got and take it from there.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you buddy. Youve helped me wiyh the other issues previously and it worked well
I know you are pretty knowledgable with this.. regarding the hoses i already changed all of the along with the pcv when i got the first code just after i bought the car . I can take some pictures tomorow and post them if you want. I replaced also the maf at the time . I understand the p0172 and p0175 are both banks and since they came up at the same time after i replaced the cct selenoids( on both banks) and the previous p0010 and p0011 didnt, i was wondering if it has something to do with the cct themselves.. do you think it could be connected? I was going to replace both ccts but as i said i put too mich pressure on the lil tensioning tools and broke both of them so i couldnt remove the cct , that is why replaced only the selenoids of the old ccts with the ones from the new ones..

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
Yeah if you could post some pictures I think that would be helpful.

Regarding the condition of the CCT cam chain shoes, what were they like? Were they fully intact or were there any pieces missing?
Anything less than fully intact with minimal wear, will be a potential source of your problem.

As far as the corrugated plastic hoses, you say you replaced them, did you replace the one on the back of the engine that connects bellow the intake manifold? It's about a 6 to 8 inch hose and that hose is notorious for being cracked due to age and being very brittle. Just looking at that hose the wrong way will cause to break.

You'll also want to check your connections on the air intake bellows and the plastic snorkel after the MAF sensor. Where the plastic snorkel connects to the throttle body there's a rubber gasket, that gasket dries out and is prone to pretty severe cracking allowing air leaks, again contributing to your problem.

And lastly for the obvious visible stuff, you'll want to check the plastic vacuum lines that go to the Kombi valves (EGR valves) on the back of the cylinder heads. There's a short rubber hose that is fitted to each Kombi valve and those are exposed to extreme heat of the exhaust. They dry out and don't keep a tight grip on the Kombi valve causing vacuum leaks which in turn will cause a Kombi malfunction.

All of the above points are visible checks and can be diagnosed with no money spent. If repairs are needed well then that's another issue, but for right now we just need to find all of the issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah if you could post some pictures I think that would be helpful.

Regarding the condition of the CCT cam chain shoes, what were they like? Were they fully intact or were there any pieces missing?
Anything less than fully intact with minimal wear, will be a potential source of your problem.

As far as the corrugated plastic hoses, you say you replaced them, did you replace the one on the back of the engine that connects bellow the intake manifold? It's about a 6 to 8 inch hose and that hose is notorious for being cracked due to age and being very brittle. Just looking at that hose the wrong way will cause to break.

You'll also want to check your connections on the air intake bellows and the plastic snorkel after the MAF sensor. Where the plastic snorkel connects to the throttle body there's a rubber gasket, that gasket dries out and is prone to pretty severe cracking allowing air leaks, again contributing to your problem.

And lastly for the obvious visible stuff, you'll want to check the plastic vacuum lines that go to the Kombi valves (EGR valves) on the back of the cylinder heads. There's a short rubber hose that is fitted to each Kombi valve and those are exposed to extreme heat of the exhaust. They dry out and don't keep a tight grip on the Kombi valve causing vacuum leaks which in turn will cause a Kombi malfunction.

All of the above points are visible checks and can be diagnosed with no money spent. If repairs are needed well then that's another issue, but for right now we just need to find all of the issues.
Oh thank you so much andreas. Yes i replaced the all vaccum hoses kit as well as the pvc at the time . Includes the one under the intake . ( which was a pain in the butt this one) .. i also remove that plactic and rubber of the intake 2 days ago as it gave me for space to work on the cct of bank 1 . The plastic shoea of the cct ( at least the one on top coz i didnt get to remove the cct from its housing so i couldnt see the bottom one) of bank 1 was in perfect condition . I didnt open bank 2 valve cover to inspect that one though .i will take pictures later on and post them . Is there a way to send them to you directly?

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
No need to send them directly.
Once you have the pictures, just drag and drop them into this thread when you make a new post.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to send them directly.
Once you have the pictures, just drag and drop them into this thread when you make a new post.
Ok so here are few pictures . You can see all the vaccume hoses, pcv, maf are brand new. Let me know if you want more specific pictures and thank you again for your willingness to help

Attachments

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
I don't see a vacuum line to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) in those pics. It's on the right side of the intake manifold, near the back.
Good call.
PZ is correct. By chance do you remember a vacuum hose going to the FPR since you've had it?

FPR is circled in red.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automotive fuel system Car

Reactions: Maiko

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
This is a shot from mine.
It's hard to see (cheesy cell phone shot) but it's normally a cloth covered vacuum line at my index finger.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a shot from mine.
It's hard to see (cheesy cell phone shot) but it's normally a cloth covered vacuum line at my index finger.

View attachment 107514
Yes i do have one .. i replaced the air filter and cleaned my maf today . I just cleared the codes .. lets see if that does it

Attachments

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what are you "clearing" the codes with?

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
If it's not specific to a VAG vehicle I don't know if it really "clears" the codes.
VCDS for sure will erase (clear) the code(s). There's a few other scanner / software tools that will clear the codes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
little update , so last night after i "" cleared"" the codes i had to drive to the airport and once there the esp light came on and the car jerked/jumped/i dont know how to even explain it like i drove on a speed bumper a bit too fast , at low speed so we were ok but she did it twice ,, then the esp light went off and the car drove fine , till almost home and the check engine came back up , with the same codes ,, its really disheartening ..what should i do next?

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
Not engine related, but I would check under the front passengers' side carpet just in front of the seat, there's a TCM (transmission control module) under the carpet.
B5 / B5.5 Passat's are known to get water ingress into these areas and cause weird problems.
If you have a manual transmission, then this module doesn't exist. However, there is a CCM (comfort control module) on the driver's side just forward of the front seat.

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
I would go back to those CCT's and find out what shape the cam chain shoes are in. With the valve cover(s) removed, check for slop / slack in the cam chain(s).
There shouldn't be any slack in the cam chains, and they should be taut. If not, I would then get the CCT's taken care of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. Im loosing hope, sleep and to be honest my mind too..
To be clear, im not a mechanic and bougth that 2003 passat 2.8 v6 4 motion.
Huge freaking mistake. I will never do that again . Thats about the worst car i ever owned .
I had it like for two months and already spent so much time and cash on it that its almost more than what i paid for it . I just dealt with p0010. P0011 and p0021 . After trying to replace both cct and breakkng both tensioning tools i figured i would change only the selenoids since i couldnt replace the cct on that day .like in a mini miracle the code didnt come back .. For 24h that is ... Today after driving like 50miles so happy i finally cleared those issues the check engine light came back on ,i thought the selenoids were not the issue and i really need to replace both ccts, but to my surpise the new codes are p0172 and p0175. The engine is running rich . The old codes are gone .. So i go online again and they say to clean the maf.. ( i changed it like a month ago and cleaned it again like two weeks ago so i dont think its the issue) but then the list of possible causes for those codes is so freaking long that i really dont know if i should dive into it again or just trash this piece of crap . Im european and almost ashamed of the quality of what became vw ...the car has 110k and i hoped it would serve us well for a while but its obviously shiesse!!!! Any intelligent and knowledgable person in here to help ?
Hi! Here is a link for codes in VW cars (y). VW Online Technical Library - Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Tables

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not engine related, but I would check under the front passengers' side carpet just in front of the seat, there's a TCM (transmission control module) under the carpet.
B5 / B5.5 Passat's are known to get water ingress into these areas and cause weird problems.
If you have a manual transmission, then this module doesn't exist. However, there is a CCM (comfort control module) on the driver's side just forward of the front seat.
Hi andreas . Thank you again . And yes i know about the water problem on thosea cars and was about to actually caulk seal around the cabin air filter as recommended by many but i saw it was already done probably by previous owner ut i will still check under the carperts both driver and passenger just in case . And about the cct's i think i will have to get into them anyway coz it seems to be all related . I will order new tensioning tools and get into it as soon as i have them. Thank you .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts