Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you paying attention. These codes were posted the other day in my water ingress post, but keeping to the topic I think is more appropriate.
So the reasoning for a separate post.

quick summary of the other post

PZ, your posts are duly noted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 078-907-551-AHA.lbl
Part No: 4D0 907 551 AH
Component: 2.8L V6/5V MOTR HS D01
Coding: 06101
Shop #: WSC 02645
VCID: 6CD73EBF1C9AEA2F6B-4B00
2 Faults Found:
16795 - Secondary Air Injection System
P0411 - 35-10 - Incorrect Flow Detected - Intermittent
16825 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
P0441 - 35-10 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
Part No: 1J0 909 607 B
Component: AIRBAG VW3 S V03
Coding: 00066
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 2C57FEBFDC1A2A2F2B-4AE8
2 Faults Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
32-00 - Resistance Too High

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
As I mentioned earlier I thought the N80 valve was probably original. That was confirmed. The N80 valve is from when the car was assembled.
When shaken it does not rattle. New one will be on order shortly.

Still need to check the filter cartridge on the valve in the drivers rear wheel well.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Items on order:
1) Brand new N80 valve. Those things are pricey :eek:
2) New filter cartridge to go on the leak detection pump/valve.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it supposed to rattle if good ?
Is that how one checks ?
That's part of it. If you shake it like your mixing a margarita it should have a rattle. Mine does not.
There is also an electrical test to you can do. Off the top of my head I don't know what the specs are.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I took the valve out and it doesn't rattle, but does click w/ a 9volt battery. There is a metal filter in the end from the canister, but that sucker won't come out. I understand that this filter can become clogged with charcoal.

Next step is to investigate the valve (?) on the canister.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Component: AIRBAG VW3 S V03
2 Faults Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance Too High - Intermittent
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
32-00 - Resistance Too High

So with this last scan. I think I've made some progress in solving my airbag issues.
This last scan was with the drivers seat completely disconnected. So it's obvious my issue lies further up the chain. I was assuming a bad airbag in the seat.
Now to delve into the abyss of airbagdom.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been messing around with this issue off and on since I last posted. Still can't figure this thing out. Short of throwing parts and money at it, what are the chances the airbag controller 8L0-959-655-B (underneath radio on hump) or the clock spring?
Ideas, opinions?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had the same codes on my daughter's beetle, I had the seat removed to repair the slide lock, and turned the key on without the seat being hooked up. I had to clear them after the seat was reinstalled. ?
They didn't come back once the codes were cleared, but started until I hard cleared the codes. Did you have the seat removed with the key on by chance?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a bit of a back story here, usually the case. I tried to find my original post about these airbag codes but of course I couldn't find it. Anyways...

This goes a ways back.
I've been associated with/to this car since it was 6 months old. My sister-in-law bought the car when it was just 6 months old. I purchased the car from her in July 2006. Shortly there after the engine quit running. I let the car sit until 2009. Up until this time the car never had any airbag faults, nor any other faults that I can remember.
In 2009 I took the interior out of the car to have it professionally cleaned. Started working on the engine. Life got in the way for a while. Car sat again until 2013. I reinstalled the interior and swapped engines, at that point is when the airbag faults showed up. I haven't been able to resolve the (2) codes since.

I most certainly have had the key on with the seat removed. I've cleared the codes but they come right back next time I switch the key on.

Very frustrating. I'm thinking about going to the salvage yard and trying a different airbag controller.

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
I'll check the controller on the donor when I pull the beam this weekend. Finally starting to feel a little better. I don't know if it's the same as the 01 B5 wagon had side curtain airbags.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll check the controller on the donor when I pull the beam this weekend. Finally starting to feel a little better. I don't know if it's the same as the 01 B5 wagon had side curtain airbags.
That'd be awesome if you could check it out.
I do have a sneaking suspicion that it won't be the same. I'll check ETKA and see what that says.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Airbag controller.
1J0 909 607 is the part number for a 1998 sedan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts