Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing the front suspension parts swap on my B5 in the driveway, today I get a letter from the city saying I was violating code by "performing maintenance or repair on a vehicle in plain site of the street". Evidently somebody drives around the hood and calls these things in. It was on jacks for five days, I'm out on business, and now a code letter. Anybody else have this happen to them?

I have no HOA or dead restrictions prohibiting these activities. I've lived in the city for oh about 42 years, evidently somebody changed the code on me.

Thoughts from the lawyers out there? I can see if it was abandoned, or I was doing this for profit, or the car had been on jacks for months, but five days?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't work on my car also in my driveway in the city I live in in Cali. I think the dealerships are getting desperate!!

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Can you still do it in the garage?

I say keep doing your work in the drive way but dont leave it out there on jacks for days.

It could also be a one off thing. Some bored neighbor with nothing better to do.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a one off thing except it's a known complainer that continually files against everybody in a 1 mile radious. In other words, it will happen again.

They said I could do the work behind a fence or in a garage. My point is, I'm not doing this as a job, not even as a hobby, I just by chance jacked it up outside, it's beutiful here this time of year. It's over a period of one week, not weeks or months.

I could understand an HOA, or deed restriction, but thats why I bought here. I'ts a moot point in two days, it will be back on it's wheels by then, but now I have a strike against me, and the way the letter is worded, there will be no next time, just a fine. So the next time I rotate the tires in my driveway, I can be fined? BS. I'm taking on city hall ya'll. Wish me luck Anybody else??

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
It's a one off thing except it's a known complainer that continually files against everybody in a 1 mile radious. In other words, it will happen again.

They said I could do the work behind a fence or in a garage. My point is, I'm not doing this as a job, not even as a hobby, I just by chance jacked it up outside, it's beutiful here this time of year. It's over a period of one week, not weeks or months.

I could understand an HOA, or deed restriction, but thats why I bought here. I'ts a moot point in two days, it will be back on it's wheels by then, but now I have a strike against me, and the way the letter is worded, there will be no next time, just a fine. So the next time I rotate the tires in my driveway, I can be fined? BS. I'm taking on city hall ya'll. Wish me luck Anybody else??
Go for it. I used to live in an uptight community and got citations from the HOA, but never the county. Actually did get one county citation for cat trespassing (yes, cat trespassing- technically the cat got it).

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Go for it. I used to live in an uptight community and got citations from the HOA, but never the county. Actually did get one county citation for cat trespassing (yes, cat trespassing- technically the cat got it).
god... these neighborhoods are hell!
stuck in the plano area, half million dollar house. (parrents. i'm poor as shit, myself... heh)

but yea.
it's understandable with a cat tresspasing. sometimes those things can be vicious enough to hurt young, or small dogs. or children, etc.
the vehicle left out front, on jacks, i too can understand.
ONLY IN AN UPTIGHT NEIGHBORHOOD WITH RESTRICTIONS!

but yea. just ignore em (only after looking up city-wide resident restrictions)
if the city says it's ok, that pissy little onlooker has no other choice but to simply sit on it, and spin.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I would find the person, and then comb the city codes and get them cited for anything and everything with photographic evidence. Then I would mail a copy of the claim package to them and indicate that things work both ways and you'll be perfectly happy never to look for issues at their place so long as you know that they are not actively looking for issues at other homeowners' places.

Or - even better: Buy a couple of those 8' sections of fence at the local home center. Then, when you want to work on the car, set them up in front of it. Make it look completely scraggy, but it's a fence!

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I would find the person, and then comb the city codes and get them cited for anything and everything with photographic evidence. Then I would mail a copy of the claim package to them and indicate that things work both ways and you'll be perfectly happy never to look for issues at their place so long as you know that they are not actively looking for issues at other homeowners' places.

Or - even better: Buy a couple of those 8' sections of fence at the local home center. Then, when you want to work on the car, set them up in front of it. Make it look completely scraggy, but it's a fence!
This strategy worked for me.:thumbup:

It's confrontational, which I enjoy, but the couple in my neighborhood pulling this stuff just never had anyone take them on. They never realized how many problems they were causing! I thought the woman was going to blow a gasket when I visited her, but her husband ended up apologizing. He probably got his ass kicked later.:lol:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
This strategy worked for me.:thumbup:

It's confrontational, which I enjoy, but the couple in my neighborhood pulling this stuff just never had anyone take them on. They never realized how many problems they were causing! I thought the woman was going to blow a gasket when I visited her, but her husband ended up apologizing. He probably got his ass kicked later.:lol:
I like that approach. It sounds fun enough to almost make me wish I had someone bust my ass for working on my car in my driveway.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Sounds like something I would do. It's one thing if you had junk cars in your lawn and made the house look like Sanford & Sons but working on a car that is going ot be back on the road when the job is complete is a whole other story. The problem is that some people have just too much time on their hands and nothing better to do with it.
Get out the camera and get to work on taking pics of their violations. Two can play at that game :whistle:

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
Great suggestions from atomicalex and ONE8T.

Three years ago my elder son rebuilt the front suspension and brake system (upgrade to discs) on his 1969 Camaro. The car must have sat on jacks for almost a month, as he maintained his 3.9 college GPA and waited for various parts to arrive. Our driveway is almost 50m / 165ft long, but the car was clearly visible from the street. Meanwhile, the kid next door was swapping engines in his 1968 Mustang, about 5m / 16ft of the edge of the street. It was a valuable socializing experience for both young men, as they traded tools and mutual assistance. I am extremely glad to live in a funky beach town with a live-and-let-live attitude.

Years earlier, one of the neighbors replaced our Pinto's timing belt in his driveway, after I had done some electronics repairs for him.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Code enforcement is usually a good thing. It really depends on how strict they are and how strict the rules are. Without it, neighborhoods can be trashed by a few idiots.

I work on cars all of the time, but I almost always pull them in the garage. I also host garage days and we have Passats all over the place being worked on. No complaints yet, but my neighbors are pretty cool.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update one. I talked to the city inspector who wrote me a citation, he admited I was not violating anything but the cronic complainer called me in two straight days!!! Well so is it a violation I asked? Well, no, but when are you going to have it done he said? i said a few days , and he said no problem then. So it's an issue of timing, the length of time it takes to do something. The way the code is written, I cannot do a "repair" which is defined as fixing broken or torn parts. Not the case here, I was "maintaining", which is adjusting or replacing. I asked the guy so I cannot even do an oil change or rotate tires in my driveway? He said if i saw you doing it, then your OK. Again, it's a matter of timing.

Yes, I am going to find out who the clown act is, and I am also going to get the city to change the code. More later...

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
^^^ well i would be mad to see some piece of shit jacked up on jack stands for 5 day making my neighborhood look like a bunch of poor bastards that cant afford to get there car fixed in a timely manner ( no offense)........... thats a violation in NYC too .. cause you have to be a certified motor vechicle repair shop to do work on cars ....inside your garage or driveway your no permited to do any repair ... its a law but rarely gets inforced.... but to see your car for 5 days ........ come on///// what do you think the neighbors are thinking to see a car on jack stands for 5 DAYS

·
Registered
15 Posts
come on///// what do you think the neighbors are thinking to see a car on jack stands for 5 DAYS
I have to agree, although I am sympathetic to working on the car in the driveway. When I work on my car I make it a rule to get it off the stands in the evening and not make a complete ghetto mess. I would not want my neighbors to just have their cars sitting on jack stands for a week either. I do not have a garage, but I make do and respect my neighbors. However, if someone did that I would not turn them in to the inspector (lame) but politely mention it to them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^^^ well i would be mad to see some piece of shit jacked up on jack stands for 5 day making my neighborhood look like a bunch of poor bastards that cant afford to get there car fixed in a timely manner ( no offense)........... thats a violation in NYC too .. cause you have to be a certified motor vechicle repair shop to do work on cars ....inside your garage or driveway your no permited to do any repair ... its a law but rarely gets inforced.... but to see your car for 5 days ........ come on///// what do you think the neighbors are thinking to see a car on jack stands for 5 DAYS
I smell irony! :D I'm sure the dead people in the cemetary across the street are turning in their graves when you pull up with a trunk full of stuff to do a tranny flush and fill ON 64th St. :p LOL!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts