Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how much the shop i went to knows.
i told them i wanted components to relace my factory speakers, they advised that i would be wasting my money installing componants and should get coaxials front and back and keep the exsisting vw tweets. anyone have opinions on this? i have decided to probably disable my rear tweeters anyhow, i'm big and my seat is too far back to have those blasting in my ears.

for what it's worth, i was thinking about polk db6750 in front, undecided in rear, maybe kicker r6c?
they advised phoenix golds 6.5? or alpine sps 170a
thanks in advance.

matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love componets because they are married to each other. I have polk momo componets front and back but they are amplified by two 2-channel amps. Coaxials really don't need amplifing. I would either go with the infinty (high pitched) or polk (natural sound).

·
Registered
151 Posts
it Depends on your listening tastes, but with coaxes the sound originates from the same point and therefore is in phase and ontime. However, i have the problem that my legs block the midbass pods, as you may because youre tall too. In this case things wont sound right cause your pants are sucking up the treble.

if you do get components get ones with steep (24db/octave) crossovers to eliminate as much as the overlap as possible, thisll clean up your midrange a bit, but it wont be perfect.

For perfect sound you need some sort of pods to stick your midbass/tweet coaxes in, like kick panels that aim the sound towars you. in this case you need money or time or freinds or any combination of the three. You also need to be okay with saying goodbye to your dead pedal.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
blacpoet said:
I would either go with the infinty (high pitched) or polk (natural sound).
what do you mean by high pitched?

as far as my taste in sound, i like crisp and punchy over boomy and ultra loud. i like to turn it up, but i don't feel the need to share my music with the cars around me...let them buy the cd themselves :crazy:

does it make any sense what he said about reusing the factory tweets cause they are "pretty good" as he put it?
also FYI i have an alpine mp3 deck i can't remember model though, i think its 27 RMS.

no input on the 6.5 kicker woofer for rear? not worth it or what?

·
Registered
151 Posts
um, it makes absolutely NO sense to buy coaxials AND reuse the OEM tweeters, then youd be pumping about twice the trebble and theyd be all out of phase and time and it would sound like poop

if your keeping the factory tweeters you just want to buy a set of midbass drivers (components withou the tweeters).

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
souplogic said:
um, it makes absolutely NO sense to buy coaxials AND reuse the OEM tweeters, then youd be pumping about twice the trebble and theyd be all out of phase and time and it would sound like poop

if your keeping the factory tweeters you just want to buy a set of midbass drivers (components withou the tweeters).

Actually, done right, using the stock tweets with a coax can help things considerably. A little trick we use on our show cars; mount the coaxes as you would normally. Then, wire the stock tweeter in parallel with the coax but place a capacitor (I forget the value off the top of my head) inline with the stock tweeter to give it a crossover point of about 15KHz. This will keep if from drawing too much attention to itself and it will raise and broaden the stage without the destroying the imaging benefits you get by using a coax.

Paul :thumbup:

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man i hate decisions. thanks for any knowledge you guys have
:thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
souplogic wrote:

Actually, done right, using the stock tweets with a coax can help things considerably. A little trick we use on our show cars; mount the coaxes as you would normally. Then, wire the stock tweeter in parallel with the coax but place a capacitor (I forget the value off the top of my head) inline with the stock tweeter to give it a crossover point of about 15KHz. This will keep if from drawing too much attention to itself and it will raise and broaden the stage without the destroying the imaging benefits you get by using a coax.

Paul
would you shut up for once and let me sound smart!! :D

Anyway, thats good to know, that would help well to with the whole ankles blocking the high treble problem im having but keeping the mids in phase.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
souplogic said:
souplogic wrote:

Paul
would you shut up for once and let me sound smart!! :D

Anyway, thats good to know, that would help well to with the whole ankles blocking the high treble problem im having but keeping the mids in phase.

:p :D :p :D Where would the fun in THAT be?? :crazy: You'd be surprised how many Finals winning cars could benefit from that little trick.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
6 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing