Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you whos clutch's have gone, did you notice slipping before you noticed engagement problems? maybe im just paranoid, but it feels like my clutch is letting out very late, very end of travel, more than usual. i know this is common in passats, but it feels like this is more exaggerated as of late. i am chipped and when i floor throttle in second after fully engaged clutch, i get no slip, just tire burn which leads me to believe that clutch holds strong, even under lots of power..... its a 2000 with 75k...i purchased it with 65k. anyone know any way to tell how much life is left?? thanks for comments.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
one test you can do is put it in 5th at about 45-50mph and slam on the gas. if your rpms go way up withour your average velocity increasing, its time for a new clutch. do it soon b4 you have to add a new flywheels to your parts list.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am hoping to get the input from someone whos clutch actually wore out, im talking no engagement. like i said before, i can put lots of power in low gear with clutch fully engaged, and it holds strong, its not that i have a problem with the clutch slipping, (not staying engaged), but that when i take off, mainly in first that i notice that pedal travel is all but used up and there is not a lot of room to ease into gear like there used to be. i am just wondering if people noticed very poor engagement, slipping, burning smell, etc. prior to the clutch finally giving out completely. anybody have to replace a clutch because car was actually undriveable, or do you guys just upgrade to a stage II, III when you add more mods and replace a functioning factory clutch??

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
well my car is fully modded.....and my clucth is the exact same way as you describe yours......i got a stage 2 clucth in my basement waiting for mine to slipp.....so far no slipp..just grabs very high..like yours :nervous:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, i guess ill just have to wait it out and keep my eyes open for a good deal on a clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
riles9b
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing