Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 1.8T has 85k+ miles on this Sachs clutch (installed almost 4 years ago when car had 65k mis.). It's starting to do the slip dance at high load situations. Now the pedal is nearly at the top. It appears the obvious is about to occur.

Please, post all your clutch recommedations. I want a little more "Umphh" than my 2previous OEM and Sachs clutches. I'm chipped (GreedSpeed 1.1), full TT exhaust (downpipe too), K&N, Forge DV, 16" VW Tangos w/ Pole Positions S-05s, AWE tranny stabilizer... Anything else that would come into play when spec'g out a clutch? I do not want to do anything to the flywheel except resurfacing. I need everyday driveability.

GF "noticed" the clutch slipping a while ago. I never did when I drove. Last week she experienced "more slipping." Now the pedal is too high, and it IS slipping. Also, my youngest son "learned" how to drive a standard on this clutch. He never made it out of the local high shcool's parking lot but the blue smoke and aroma did linger.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Hey you are not too far from me....I'm in Milford. We might have exchanged few emails......

Honestly.....letting your son learn on this clutch was a BAD idea. Especially if he is in high school.....who knows what he has done in front of his friends etc. Just make sure you let him know that this car is VERY frigile to abuse....cause if you don't you will be going thru Clutches, Tranny, Tie rods, Control arms and Wheel bearings on monthly basis.

Personally I would highly recommend going with stock clutch. This is one area of the car where VERY few people had GREAT experiances, and it seems like stock is THE way to go.

Jacob

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OEM Option

Jacob - Thanks. We should hook-up.
Dutch-mountain, send me a Southbend link.

My original then Sachs replacement (essentially an OEM clutch) clutches were just not "grabby" enough. They were always too refined, too soft for my liking. I'd like to go a little more agressive yet keep the drivability right where I like it. Euro-Sport did not show a clutch for B5s. I bought my last clutch from www.bimmerparts.com.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Jacob - Thanks. We should hook-up.
Dutch-mountain, send me a Southbend link.

My original then Sachs replacement (essentially an OEM clutch) clutches were just not "grabby" enough. They were always too refined, too soft for my liking. I'd like to go a little more agressive yet keep the drivability right where I like it. Euro-Sport did not show a clutch for B5s. I bought my last clutch from www.bimmerparts.com.

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/home.html

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
Mike and J, you HAVE hooked up and met. it was at the GTG you put together, J!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right Jay. It was at the miserably cold, rainy September GTG in West Haven in memory of ClubB5 member Rich Gabriel who was killed in one of the towers on 911. I think it was Septeber of 2003 IIRC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts