Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I have come to the conclusion that I need to replace my clutch (24K/mi)...Now the question is with what, and how much? I'm thinking of the Scahs replacement (OE/Sport), and keeping the OEM Flywheel. This is based on price and overall drivability (I'm racing only to work/not professionally).

Any ideas what a mechanic would charge to install?? Dealer estimated 1100/1200 parts included? I need to make some calls....Is this reasonable?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
The labor charge to replace my clutch, flywheel, and throwout bearing was $350. I originally wanted to go with the Sachs Sport clutch, but it seems near impossible to actually obtain one. My mechanic had ordered one for me in what he thought would be plenty of time, but when the time came for the install, it still hadn't arrived. I ended up cancelling the order and going with the AWE/Southbend Stage 2 and OE Flywheel. It's been on the car for 1 year/15K miles now. No problems.

HTH

Kenny

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ok is the AWE Tuning clutch the same as a southbend clutch?

As you may or may not know the new 2003+ passats have the "new and improved" :roll: 240MM clutch. AWE Stage 2 says 20% more clamping force, do we know if that's enough to hold back a chipped K03 or a chipped K04 Passat?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Who knows, we'll find out. The amount of dis-information out on clutches is crazy. From my findings today I'll report...

According to Southbend they do not make a clutch for a 240MM B5.5 Passat. They can reface the oem one for me if I send it to them. Bummer. :roll:

AWE who apparently sells Southbend clutches says they have one available and I bought it for $500. :suspicio: Of course their website says the AEB,ATW,AWM clutches are all the same too. (not true- AEB, ATW use 228MM, my AWM has a 240) I called re-verified that it will be a 240MM clutch etc, etc, they assured me it'll be right and I'll have it next week.

Interesting, New Dimensions is no longer selling Spec Clutches due to "quality control" problems. New German Performance says they haven't had any problems with them however.

So what's for sure??? Death and Taxes. I'm sure I"ll be getting a new clutch next week. Whether or not it's the right one is anybody's guess. I'm sure I'll know once I have the whole damn car apart. :mad:

So anyway want to give some tips on clutch replacement?? I'll be doing this project myself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So anyway want to give some tips on clutch replacement?? I'll be doing this project myself.
It's toward the front of the car..... :thumbup:

Wish we had time to do it next weekend. I'd be more than happy to help.

Ryan

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought a Spec stage 2 clutch through the group buy with NGP. I also got the spec light flywheel. I definately did not like the flywheel, it was just too light for my taste. I did not really see any upside and it had alot of down side. The clutch engagement seemed OK but was not as easy to lunch with for normal starts. I attributed that to low rotating inerta from the light flywheel. After reading some posts on here with bad experiences with clutches and the multitude of conflicting information that has been posted here, I decided to go back to the stock flywheel that I had resurfaced by south bend and the Sachs sport clutch (I got it from Autotech.com). That was a good decision. Now the friction point is near the floor, the clutch engagement is just like stock, gone is the gear rattle from the trasnmsission caused by the light flywheel, and the car drives just like it did before. The only noticable difference is that the clutch pedal requires more pressure because the pressure plate has more clamping force. So I learned an expensive lesson, stay with the OEM vendor.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on the books for next week at Steve’s European...I need to make a decision as to what to get. The recommendation from Steve’s was a spec stage 1, and light weight flywheel...hum. After hearing some of the issues of the lightweight flywheel, I cannot help to wonder if this is not a good decision. Beside the rougher idle what are some of the characteristics?

I have till Wednesday!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
There is some controversy over whether the lighter single mass flywheel will present a problem or an annoyance. One thing you can be sure of: The OE flywheel will retain the stock feel. If that's important to you, it's a no-brainer.

Kenny

·
Registered
490 Posts
The main issues I had with my light flywheel, besides the gear rattle from the transmission, was that normal starts from a dead stop took more concentration because there was not the same inertia in the rotating mass, causing the gas pedal control to be more critical. Also, sometimes when down shifting, the engine would stall when I put in the clutch and took my foot off the gass. Again, a lack of rotating mass thing. My guess would be a single mass flywheel in the 15-16# range like AWE sells (I think) would be a good comprimise. Unfortuneatly they did not make one for my car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.