Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

Ok, my clutch is definately on the way out, so I'm considering my options. I'm chipped with the .8 bar Neuspeed, so I don't have anything super aggresive in there, and I normally don't drive the car that hard. I have a '98 1.8T @ 72,000 mi.

What I'm looking for is your suggestion on a good clutch/ kit for the $, as I don't have the budget to do a major upgrade. I've been looking at the ECS tuning kit, and wondering what else is out there for similar $.

I'm also highly considering doing the swap mayself, and I was wonderng what advice you might have for me. Is this something I should let to my mechanic, or is it worthwhile to save on the labor? I'll be doing my TB in the near future, and might just go for both over the same weekend, while I'm tooled up!

Any advice/ info will be highly appreciated!
THANKS!!! :bow:
Bobby

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would say go with a stock replacement or the APS clutch. The work is not for the faint of heart. Some members have done their own clutch with success, others have had problems. I would say if you have access to a lift and the proper tools, then go for it. A less expensive option than a dealer or an INDY is to go to b5bel in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. He is a VW mechanic who does Satruday work at his dealership. He has done alot of work for club members and is highly regarded.

As far as the clutch, I tried a Spec clutch and light flywheel and was not happy. In the end, I went back to the stock flywheel and a Sachs sport clutch. I am very happy with this setup. Since you are only running a mild chip, I think a stoch clutch would be more than adequate. You also should consider geting the flywheel resurfaced or replace it with a new one.

Good luck, and I know others will chime in with their opinions.

Regards, Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.