Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any one has any recommendations? For Garage's that replace VW clutches. I am in the NE corridor and have been looking for quotes been getting labour cost varying from $700 to $900. My B5.5, 2005, 1.8T, FWD has just hit 145,000 miles on it. Was thinking of getting the Clutch kit with single mass flywheel made by Valeo as well as rear crankshaft seal-with flange made by eiring both are available on the ECS tuning website with a total of $432.52.

Also a lot of people saying when it starts slipping it's advised to get it done. How do I know when the clutch is slipping?

I'm in 2 minds to get this work done, as I'm the second owner of this car. This is now my third B5 Passat, I have maintained it and had oil service's at every 5,000 miles with all invoices in hand only use 91 fuel. It's a clean carfax & Autocheck, but small things like ABS light comming on, AC working intermittently when at a standstill. Will be replacing the flex pipe soon as it's deteriorating.

Is it worth spending money to keep this car going on for a year at least, then selling it on to someone that can appreciate it. Or basically hope the clutch stay in tact for a year and then painfully coming to terms to scrapping it?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Hey, as a courteousy to the forum, keep it to one post in one area for the same topic / subject.
This is the preffered location for this post.

This my response to your other post.

With exception of maybe two of the members in this post, none of them have logged on in years.
Gonna say with high confidence you're not going to get a response.
If you're worried about price and you have to rely on a garage to do your work, that price range isn't to bad.
Shop rates have gone up since 10 years ago. Hourly shop rates are around the $160 range. This figure will change depending on demographic location.
So lets say $900 for a clutch job,
$900 / $160 = 5.625 hours. That's a pretty darn quick turn around time for a clutch job.
To know if your clutch is slipping, put into 4th or 5th gear and accelerate hard. If the RPM's climb quicker than the rate of speed increase, the clutch is slipping.
You have to determine if it's worth spending the money. Is the car in relatively sound condition?
Doing a clutch job is cheaper than a car purchase. But if the car is in poor shape and has a laundry list of needed repairs than maybe applying the money that would have been spent on a new clutch, put it towards a down payment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andreas thank you for your advice and suggestion. I manage to find a place in NJ that will do it for $800 or a place in Ohio for $700.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Andreas thank you for your advice and suggestion. I manage to find a place in NJ that will do it for $800 or a place in Ohio for $700.
I do all of my own wrenching, but if I ever had to knuckle under and give in to someone else doing it, I'd bite on that.
Considering the amount of labor to swap out a clutch, that's not bad.

·
Registered
28,073 Posts
A 1.8T FWD is pretty easy compared to other cars. The trans is about 80 lbs or so and the bolts are pretty easy to reach.
If you are in North Jersey, check out:
Edge Motors
107 Railroad Avenue
West Haverstraw, NY 10993
845-269-3846

Otherwise, just search Google for VW repair shops and start calling around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do all of my own wrenching, but if I ever had to knuckle under and give in to someone else doing it, I'd bite on that.
Considering the amount of labor to swap out a clutch, that's not bad.
I thought to do it myself but living in NYC and having no ramp, the transmission being a crucial part of the car. I thought it would be better to leave it to someone who can get the job done right and properly. Especially seeing though I'm daily driving the car too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 1.8T FWD is pretty easy compared to other cars. The trans is about 80 lbs or so and the bolts are pretty easy to reach.
Edge Motors
107 Railroad Avenue
845-269-3846

Thank you for the recommendation, I will certainly give them a call for a quote. Quite a few garages I've called seem a bit reluctant to do it in one day.

·
Registered
28,073 Posts
I expect a shop can do it in under 4 hours.

·
Registered
394 Posts
One of your original questions was "Is it worth spending money to keep this car going on for a year at least, then selling it on to someone that can appreciate it?"

If you do the clutch, RMS, ABS module and flex pipe, all told, you are looking at about $1,500 minimum. That is if the A/C just needs a re-charge, you pull the ABS module yourself and you just do a cut-and-paste on the flex section of the down pipe. Obviously, the price goes way up if you are talking about more in-depth problems and solutions.

You are correct that to get good money for even a very nice B5.5 Passat these days, you have to find someone who appreciates it. I recently sold a 2002 1.8T automatic, with 147,000 miles, for $3,000. I had put a load of new parts into it and checked it out bumper to bumper and found it also had recent brakes and rotors and fuel pump. It was mechanically excellent when I sold it. Still, it was finding no love in the general community. It took me 3 weeks to sell and it went to a guy who knew these Passats and wanted a good, inexpensive, highway car.

If you sold yours as-is, you're probably in the $600 - $800 range, depending on the interior and exterior condition and disclosure of known issues. If you fix the A/C, flex pipe and ABS light, you can probably add $500+ to the price. Honestly, if it were an automatic, you could add another $4 - 5 hundred on top of that. Your average used-car buyer won't touch a 15 year old, turbocharged car. Add in a manual transmission and your audience is very limited. Bottom line, going beyond the minimum DIY stuff, you're not going to get out the money you put in, so you need to realize some of the benefit to yourself over the next year+ of your ownership and/or pass that benefit on to a future owner.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Also a lot of people saying when it starts slipping it's advised to get it done. How do I know when the clutch is slipping?

Is it worth spending money to keep this car going on for a year at least, then selling it on to someone that can appreciate it. Or basically hope the clutch stay in tact for a year and then painfully coming to terms to scrapping it?
4zfed gave a lot of good advice.

But why are you so hung up on the clutch, when you don't know if it is even slipping?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Edge Motors
107 Railroad Avenue
845-269-3846

Edge Motor guys are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
4zfed gave a lot of good advice.

But why are you so hung up on the clutch, when you don't know if it is even slipping?
I was pretty sure before from just my experience of owning 3 previous B5.5 Passat's back in the U.K. of when a clutch is slipping. I just wanted to get clarity and confirmation I guess, I got a bit paranoid when I took it in for a regular 5,000 mile services at VW main dealer, Teddy's in the Bronx. Other than giving me a $5,000 worth of repair cost of other items, they also confirmed the clutch needs replacing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
One of your original questions was "Is it worth spending money to keep this car going on for a year at least, then selling it on to someone that can appreciate it?"

If you do the clutch, RMS, ABS module and flex pipe, all told, you are looking at about $1,500 minimum. That is if the A/C just needs a re-charge, you pull the ABS module yourself and you just do a cut-and-paste on the flex section of the down pipe. Obviously, the price goes way up if you are talking about more in-depth problems and solutions.

You are correct that to get good money for even a very nice B5.5 Passat these days, you have to find someone who appreciates it. I recently sold a 2002 1.8T automatic, with 147,000 miles, for $3,000. I had put a load of new parts into it and checked it out bumper to bumper and found it also had recent brakes and rotors and fuel pump. It was mechanically excellent when I sold it. Still, it was finding no love in the general community. It took me 3 weeks to sell and it went to a guy who knew these Passats and wanted a good, inexpensive, highway car.

If you sold yours as-is, you're probably in the $600 - $800 range, depending on the interior and exterior condition and disclosure of known issues. If you fix the A/C, flex pipe and ABS light, you can probably add $500+ to the price. Honestly, if it were an automatic, you could add another $4 - 5 hundred on top of that. Your average used-car buyer won't touch a 15 year old, turbocharged car. Add in a manual transmission and your audience is very limited. Bottom line, going beyond the minimum DIY stuff, you're not going to get out the money you put in, so you need to realize some of the benefit to yourself over the next year+ of your ownership and/or pass that benefit on to a future owner.
This is really good advice, I asked Deutsch Auto parts, about if value of B5 Passat going up. He basically said they have dropped in value, better of with a B6 Wagon. As of yet they are not on many people's radar for appreciation value. I have seen a few articles on Jalpolink about the B5.5 Passat wagons but mainly about TDI & W8.

Value wise I think your right a year ago car max offered me $1,000, for the date and milage on the car at the time that offer was more trade value, plus I got a free clean Autocheck report too. I'm pretty sure that's what the cost is now maybe. I was very meticulous when I bought this car, the car fax report had the car down as a regular oil service on the car with one owner. I also called up the garage to confirm the services done up to 98,000 miles. Since then I have still kept servicing the car every 5,000 miles and have a big folder of receipt for work done & parts bought. Essentially I like to believe I have a Full service history so far on this car. Whether that brings any value I guess will see. Cosmetically on the outside the cars has a few scratched, hazed headlights but no dents. Other than the clutch, AC & ABS light, the engine is really strong. I've put 4 new tires on the car Tire rods replaced.

I'm gonna also try uploading all the invoice of work done on the car fax care app.In an era of Manuals being rare thought mine maybe have a little bit more value.

I manage to find a guy in Northern VA that will weld in my Flex pipe for a $100- www.dcmobileexhaust.comI
Icalled one other garage near me they quoted $300 to do the same job.

With the ABS light I did have a sensor replaced for around $300 from PennsylvaniaTire & Auto of Ardmore. I think it maybe the wiring loom that gose down to the sensor that me need replacing. They did say the ABS Module itself seems to be fine. So that's on on going issue that I will have to resolve.

I'm hoping with the AC it really is just to top up the gas. I had previous work done to the AC too.

I think you really hit the nail on the head in regards to passing on these benefits to the next owner. Just have to find the right person who will appreciate it I hope.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a list of a few quotes so far, thought I would post them below.

*Pennsylvania Tire & Auto of Ardmore- $900

*CasteSystems Performance, NJ- $800

*Autohaus Service and Sales, MI-$790

*Edge Motors, NY- $700

*German Auto Pros, OH- $700

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,104 Posts
FYI, you can buy a brand new down pipe with flex joint on amazon for $100

Easy to do when the trans is removed for the clutch

Reactions: Joey-SW16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts