Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the clutch in my 99 b5. The clutch releases when the pedal is just about at the top. I've heard that this is normal operation, I find that hard to believe

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
The B5 / B5.5 Passat clutches are hydraulic. Because the clutch is hydraulic, the amount of wear on the friction disc, is always compensated for by displacement of fluid in the Master Clutch Cylinder. With that being said...
As soon as you start pushing down on the clutch pedal, it will start to release the clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
perhaps I posed the question the wrong way, let's try this. When the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down and I start to let up on it it doesn't engage/release till the pedal is just about at the top. I'm used to having a clutch start to engage/release while the pedal is lower ie closer to the floor.
I used to own a BMW M3 and that clutch operated the way I'm used to all clutches worked meaning as I start to lift my foot the clutch starts to release and then it is fully released when the pedal is at the top

·
Registered
992 Posts
The engagement point varies from car to car and it's kind of second nature to just release the pedal until you feel the engagement. My wife's Subaru Outback and my Passat wagon both have manual transmissions and they do engage differently. I guess the Passat engages quite high compared to the Subaru but to me it's just different and I adjust the seat accordingly.

·
Registered
26,602 Posts
It's normal for the Passats to have a high engagement point as they wear. The S4 used a self-adjusting pressure plate that kept the pedal lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts