Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does your clutch (stock clutch) begin to engage? I have a 2000 1.8t 5spd. When I got the car in October I could have sworn that the clutch began to engage as soon as I began to let it out. Latley I have noticed that the clutch doesn't seem to engage until the last 4-6 inches of the stroke (letting it out) at the most. Is there a way to adjust the clutch in our cars? Do I need to check the fluid? Hell, I've never even checked to see if our clutches are mechanical or hydrolic. . . I think I have gotten lazy, CB5 before opening the hood. Anyone have any input or suggestions? Thanks.

Woody

·
Registered
248 Posts
Woody, it would seem that my 99 doesn't engage until the last 4-6 inches as well. When I'm really driving hard, I'll "half clutch" on my shifts and only push the pedal halfway to the floor because I know the point where it disengages/engages. Frustrating if you ask me. I took my friend's Civic (yeah I know) for a spin the other day and the clutch was fantastic on that car, only about 4-6 inches TOTAL travel and engagement almost immediately off the floor.

-Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm almost 100% positive that mine wasn't that way when I got it. It was certified pre-owned and they had just done the 40,000 service. Maybe that had something to do with it. I drove a 2000 Audi S4 8) and the clutch was like mine was when I first got it. . . NICE!

Woody

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm . . . I could have sworn that it engaged over more of the stroke when I got it. My previous vehicle was a Ford Ranger and the clutch only engaged on it at the end of the stroke, thats why when I first got my B5 I thought "wow, this is a lot better clutch engagement" but maybe I have just gotten used to it. Oh well. . .

2nd Question:

I checked the hydrolic fluid at the front of my engine compartment, it's not below the LOW part of the dipstick, but I could add more easily. . . Should I? If yes, what type of fluid should I add.

Woody

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 2000 B5 1.8T and have been asking this question ever since I got it. Actually I had two questions: the clutch engaging too high and second gear hard to select on cold winter mornings. The answers I got were basically: Welcome to Club :b5: that's the way things are with these cars, learn to like it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well on the cold winter mornings the fluid in the tranny has to warm up before the shifts are smooth. I tried to let my car warm-up for at least 5-10min before driving if it was really cold.

That doesn't bother me really. . . I just wondered if there was a way to adjust the clutch.

The shifting isn't bad, and I am used to the clutch now (got the car last october). . . I just could have sworn that it wasn't like that when I got it.

Woody

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's really weird, i have a 98 and my clutch grabs right before the pedal is fully released. Sometimes i think it is within 'mm' (1/8 of an inch). :crazy:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not really talking about where it GRABS. . . it's more like where it releases. I feel like I only have to depress the pedal about 4" before I shift. I'm used to it by now.

NOTE: I do push it the all the way to the floor.

Woody

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.