Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my clutch is on it's death bed and it's looking like time to upgrade. Is there anyone with a flywheel/clutch combo that they are happy w/ and or dislike? Preferably that have it installed with an upgraded turbo as I will be looking for something that can handle atleast 300lb/ft and 300hp, but still daily driven.

Any input is great.....as it's likely I'll be doing the install and am hoping for a quality product the first time round....
:beer:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have only heard bad things about the feel and daily drivablity with a severely lightened flywheel. Beware of those. Most go with a dual mass OEM type flywheel or just reuse the same one.

Does PES use SPEC cluthces?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
L8apex1 said:
So my clutch is on it's death bed and it's looking like time to upgrade. Is there anyone with a flywheel/clutch combo that they are happy w/ and or dislike? Preferably that have it installed with an upgraded turbo as I will be looking for something that can handle atleast 300lb/ft and 300hp, but still daily driven.

Any input is great.....as it's likely I'll be doing the install and am hoping for a quality product the first time round....
:beer:
Honestly, you might want to go with AWE-Tuning's Clutch Kit. I've had great results on my Golf and on some installs done for friends who own Audi's. Just stay away from the SPEC Clutches!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've herd very bad things about wear issue's and SPEC.

I like the look and price of the PES kit, but also like the awe kit because it includes a flywheel (slightly higher $$). I have heard that extremely light flywheels can cause a funky feeling for street driven cars, but I don't exactly understand why this happens? Could anyone please explain?

-Kristofer

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just installed AWE Tuning's Stage II clutch kit. For the record it is the same as a Southbend DXD clutch.

Now I only have about 300 miles on it so far but I would give it a :thumbup:

Some things to expect.

1. The clutch pedal is heavier. Been in a new V8 S4? Exactly the same feel. It's easily 50% heavier then the oem clutch. Is it annoying? Not really you get used to it, it's not nearly as heavy some clutchs in a Chevy big block. :lol:

2. Grab- It grabs noticably faster then stock. But that's what you want right? Frankly I think it's the way stock clutches should be. Our VW ones are mush.

3. Friction Point- The F.P. is closer to the floor. That means you have to have the clutch further down to shift properly.

So after you get it installed be prepared to stall it a few times and after that I think you'll be set. BTW, I'm using the OEM dual mass flywheel and given facts 1,2,3 I would expect more dramatic changes with a lighter flywheel.

With all the recent posts about bad Spec clutches at AudiWorld, there's really only the Southbend clutches and the Sach's clutches as far as I know.

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.