Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a n 03 1.8t manual...just was wondering what I can expect out of the clutch for the life of it??? I dont drive hard...baby it most of the time. :wink:

·
0 Posts
It will last you the life of your car under normal conditions barring mechanical failure. Less if you chip it, less if you ride the clutch, less if you do burnouts in the supermarket parking lot! :lol:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really...that's impressive if that holds true...the car had 6700 miles on it when I bought it....so the only asshole I can blame is myself if it goes out. ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had nearly 200k miles on my '86 GTI when I sold it with the factory clutch! Still was going strong even with 10 years of suburban driving. (same size motor but a little lighter then my B5.5) If that had a turbo :eek:

·
Registered
776 Posts
I got around 60K on my clutch, but early in it's life I went to a lot of the illegal races and did a lot of burnouts with the car. I also liked making the tires chirp when I shift. I no longer do that and here's why:
This is the stock pressure plate, split into 3 :crazy: (Don't do burnouts with 18's on sticky rubber, unless it's wet out)

Stock clutch.

I've replaced it with the Sachs clutch kit and a VR6 lightened flywheel. The flywheel is single mass vs the stock which is double mass so the shifter vibrates when revs go above 5000 rpms.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
95K and no problems, with the clutch at least....

:D

CBX....you own a CBX?

·
Registered
828 Posts
clutch life

Don't know about the 1.8T, but the clutch in the car that both my brother and I learned to drive on (in a hilly town) lasted 123K miles. It wasn't slipping at that point, but it was starting to look a bit thin when a synchro had to be replaced...

I've gotten better over the years: the last 3 clutches I've driven have gone 196K, 212K, and, the current car is at 282K and counting :thumbup:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
I plan to replace my clutch at 70K. This will not be a required replacement (I hope!) but I have other tranny work to do, so I will be in there anyway. By then, I will have taught my husband how to drive stick twice, so I will feel good about the clutch life. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine just went at 63K. No chip, no burnout, no clutch dumps. Clutch lasted at least twice as long on previous car that was driven more agressively. A clutch job on these cars seems extremely expensive. By the way, it went with no warning at all. it never slipped. Shifting suddenly became hard, then impossible, even with the engine off. My guess is the friction plate simpy disintegrated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
03' 1.8T -

Yeah....um 25K - Driven Hard...Hard. High-speed downshifts, hard launches, on 18"x8" BBS...really soft yoks...It was an expensive lesson. No, Its not my first manual...extremely spirited driving !! Upgraded, and habits have changed !!
All things normal. -Stage II/Lightweight Flywheel

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have 03 1.8T chipped since 5k miles and have 66K now. I have yet to see any sign of slipping on my car and trust me, I drive pretty damn hard.

Josh

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
70k driven hard(no launches or drags though) with 3 known overheatings. still holding with chipped k03. started slipping right after k04 install. my best guess is that it would've lasted to 85-90k.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
what has to come out to replace the clutch is it worth it to just look at the clutch and see if it needs replacing and just switch out flywheels or is it unheard of to do that much work and not replace both? my clutch has 110000 miles on it i drive like miss daisy and only 1 or 2 days a week

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
how many of you know that using your clutch to keep you stopped at an intersection or other stop, and holding the clutch pedal to the floor are both bad for a clutch?

Those of you burning your clutch out at 60,000 to 70,000 miles have some type of bad habit you don't know is bad for your clutch. Granted, there probably is a few that have a bad clutch to begin with, but holding your clutch pedal to the floor when it is not necessary shortens the life of your throw out bearing. Riding the clutch to keep your car stopped on a hill, or anywhere is just slipping your clutch. If you want to maximize your clutch life, learn how to shift without the clutch....if you're good at it, you'll be able to do down shifts too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts