Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the sound I hear when I go into my laneway on an angle. Clunk, clunk. Straight bumps no noise. Angles = clunk. Front end.........

HELP.

I am doing my spring swap this week. I would like to tackle this while I am in there if possible.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What drives you to that conclussion. No noise when turning and driving. No grinding noises at all. I had allways thought that was CV????? I was thinking sway bar links???? That would give me the one wheel only noise. If both wheels hit bump at same time I don't think there is any clunk at all. Maybe strut bearings??? I just don't want to hear control arms. I want to dial it in fast cause I will change the strut bearings with the springs if that is the cause.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just had that fixed last Monday - clunking when I turned left and accelerated. Only on the left wheel. Got progressively worse.

Left CV joint. Right CV went out 6 months before.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, that is what I thought. This is not under acceleration. It is slowly rolling into my laneway.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You are not alone. I know what you are talking about, I just experienced the same thing while turning into a parking lot. It is not the CV joint. But I have no idea. :nervous:

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
It sounds like the sway bar links (if they are the old style).

·
Registered
872 Posts
ronniebaldino said:
2000 1.8t variant
I have a 2000 sedan. How many miles do you have on it? I just had my left tie rod end changed a month or 2 ago because I had a clunk too. Same as you, only while turning left into a bump or curb. Also, steering reponse improved dramatically after replacement.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I just tried to replace my springs (more on this in another post) and I found my clunk. Upper control arm ball joints are kinda loose. There is enough play in them that I can move the tire and watch the joint slop around. That ain't normal is it? What now. It looked like it was getting bad on the other side as well.

I have time left on my limited warranty. Probably not covered though is it?

I have 114 000 km.

Do I replace the ones that are definetly busted or the whole bunch?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
loose and everytime i fix it I get my oil changed and it gets put back on half assed. I can't beleive that the clunk is just my skidplate???

I definetly have play in my upper control arm ball joints. How much is normal? should I be able to move my tire?

I guess I can drop by the dealer and get some new clips for it and see what that does. I really want to know what to do with the arms though as I will have to get the whole thing apart anyway.

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
There should be no play in the ball joints. Replace them. You can get a set (all 8) from ECS
for almost the same price as 4 individually. It is best to do them with the suspension as half
of it comes out for the spring change.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There should be no play in the ball joints. Get as many replaced as the warranty will cover. If they won't cover them try an independent shop. I just replaced 5 of them at a cost of $1200 You could try it yourself if you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts