Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news has reported that the President will soon announce the closure of the detention center/prison (select one) at Guantanamo within a year. I have seen no mention of what happens after the closure.

What will the government do with the detainees/prisoners/terrorists/insurgents (select one) then? Are they going to another facility? Will they be sent back to Iraq or wherever else they were bagged? Try them under accepted US court procedures?

And how many people are we talking about?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
No idea how many. I've actually heard quite a bit about their disposition and the problems resulting therefrom. The one-year is key because of the fact that, in some cases at least, these people don't have anyplace to go. From what I've heard from "experts" who've speculated about it, some will be tried in the US, some will be returned to their own countries to be tried or released. Some will be in limbo until the Gov't comes up with a way to deal with them. That's why it's gonna take a year. It's just one of the ugly hairy messes that Obama will have to clean up. All we can hope for is that these cases can be publically scrutinized and dealt with based on the specifics.

·
0 Posts
Then adhere to the conventions of war, theres plenty of places for these guys to get sorted out. Hell they can even send them back to Iraq for judgment.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know for some prisoners, Leavenworth, KS is a big possibility, but I know the people in the area are fighting it. They don’t want terrorists there...and neither do I...I only live alittle over and hour away. :banghead:

·
0 Posts
Key here is "HOW MUCH". How much it will take to move this prison to Europe or wherever it's going to be....

AND where is this money coming from.

No one seems to be asking that.....
At this point every single move the government makes is pain, the cost of moving these guys could be covered by buying one less fighter plane IMHO.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I believe Gitmo should stay open for business. There will be lots of fallout if it closes. I don't even understand why they would close one prison just to send them all to another? That's retarded...Obama should just let sleeping dogs lie.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,625 Posts
I believe there are about 250 people at GITMO right now that the US military admits. Of the 250 approximately sixty have already been approved for release but they have no where to go. Diplomatic efforts are in progress to find them a home.

However, the CIA still has "detention" centers in other parts of the world and the number of detainees is unknown. Also there is a very large prison at Bagram AFB in Afghanstan also holding a lot of people (+600) and who knows how many of them could also be released now. Not a pretty place.

http://revcom.us/a/117/bagram-en.html

·
15,625 Posts
I believe Gitmo should stay open for business. There will be lots of fallout if it closes. I don't even understand why they would close one prison just to send them all to another? That's retarded...Obama should just let sleeping dogs lie.
1. It's illegal.
2. Many people are innocent.
3. Very bad for international relations.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I can tell you for sure, that there are far more than 600 at Bagram, and when I left Camp Bucca there were 20K+....and there is still the detention center at Cropper which is housing thousands more detainees...

·
Registered
888 Posts
"Gitmo" has become a rally word for the ACLU types. The Government has several "facilities" for the holding of detainees, and if they really want to hold some of them they can ship them to a different location. I suspect that they will NOT bring them onto American soil, since that strengthens the argument that they are entitled to "American" style due process. Holding them out of America, in some country which doesn't have a very high human rights grade is what they want.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
1. It's illegal.
2. Many people are innocent.
3. Very bad for international relations.
Jesus Tom, please tell me how it's illegal to detain people that are suspected of commiting crimes? Many people are innocent? You truly believe that? And personally I do not care if it's bad for international relations...

I am sick and tired of everyone feeling bad for detainees and saying they are innocent and the facilities are inhumane...until you have been to these facilities and see how we are forced to treat them, essentially waiting on them hand and foot, I do not want to hear you defending them.

Out of all the facitilites that I mentioned before, the only one I have not been to is Gitmo but if there is some discomfort for them, I believe they deserve it.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,619 Posts
LET THE $$$ BEGIN
The U.N.'s torture investigator, Manfred Nowak, said news that Obama will order the prison closed, review military trials of terror suspects and end harsh interrogations was a sign of goodwill by the new American administration. But he warned that shutting the prison will require difficult decisions and said freed inmates should be allowed to sue the United States if they were mistreated.

·
15,625 Posts
Jesus Tom, please tell me how it's illegal to detain people that are suspected of commiting crimes? Many people are innocent? You truly believe that? And personally I do not care if it's bad for international relations...

I am sick and tired of everyone feeling bad for detainees and saying they are innocent and the facilities are inhumane...until you have been to these facilities and see how we are forced to treat them, essentially waiting on them hand and foot, I do not want to hear you defending them.

Out of all the facitilites that I mentioned before, the only one I have not been to is Gitmo but if there is some discomfort for them, I believe they deserve it.
The Constitution and the Geneva Convention are very clear about how people can be detained and what rights they have? How many have been charged and how many have been released? How many been there for years and years and years and then told oops we made a mistake you can go? Or still told nothing. How do you think they are going to feel about the US one they are released?:rolleyes:

Not caring about international relations is another reason we are having so many problems now.:crazy:

This whole process was just another example of how the last administration never thought their decisions all the way through and never bothered with an exit strategy.:thumbdown

Yes, there are bad people out there but form all the rhetoric of the last administration the number seems to be about 1% or less of their claims.:salute:

·
for your entertainment...
7,035 Posts
Nice beaches, cigars, and good rum? Plus, it's closer than Hawaii?
Hahaha... just read wiki and also recalled a bit of history from the tourguide in my Havana tour last month.

US established base there cuz of the Spanish-American War, and treaty renegotiated in 1934. SInce '59 US have continued paying rent to Cuban gov't and becasue first cheque (and only the first cheque) was cashed, the US sees that as affirmation that Castro's gov't accepts their deal.

Cuba sees the US as having breached their original treaty which had GITMO as a coaling station ONLY, and now there's an air field, prison and a bunch of fast food joints, which would have to be renegotiated into the treaty.

Interesting.... makes me wonder why, when the Americans were evacuated from GITMO during the missle crisis, the Cuban gov't didn't walk in and reclaim it.. although i'm sure the US wouldn't have left it undefended/unmanned.

meh... not Canada's problem since we still get full advantage of Cuba's beaches, cigars, rum... and hot chicas. ;) The one I met in December, interestingly enough, was from Guantanamo. :thumbup:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
If all prisoners at Gitmo are terrorists, why have so many gone without a trial?

It seems all that needs to happen to call someone a terrorist is bring them to a prison=terrorist. Or just call them a terrorist. I think I will call v-dubin a kid toucher, because that will make him a kid toucher. I said he is, so he is, no proof or trial necessary.

Love that idea. Very American.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Now according to the latest news, the executive order closing Gitmo ALSO includes secret CIA prisons in other countries. FYI.

One last thought. The Geneva Convention was signed in a day of more conventional warfare. I am not sure I agree that terrorists and suicide bombers should receive the same protections that we afford uniformed combatants. Times have changed, warfare has changed, it's a little like the arguments for sales tax over the internet.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts