1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
125 Posts
The outgoing Clinton administration put together a plan in December 2000/January 2001 on how to deal with Al Queda. It consisted of pretty much what's been done since 9/11 by the Bushies--freeze assets, coordinate intelligence, actively pursue then in Afghanistan. It was handed over the the Bush administration, along with a stern warning by a Clinton terrorism panel that Al Queda WOULD strike in the US and that Al Queda would take a majority of Bush's time. The plan was highly praised by former Republican cabinet members.

And Bush....did nothing.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
BlackB5inVA said:
And Bush....did nothing.
You know its easy to point the finger after the fact.

No one knew 9/11 was going to happen. They may have had an idea that somthing "big" was going to happen, but they had im complete information.

Now looking after the fact it is much easier to see that these people were taking flight training classes ect.... but we didn't have the luxury prior.

So tell me, what should Bush have done? If clinton put together this whole big thing, show me where bush disregarded it.

If you look at it from the perspective we had then, not prior, you will realize that things were still unclear. Which is why further action was not taken.

I agree there were somthings we should of done, but chalk that up to the burecratic system we live in. There is too much red tape, to many different perspectives. Im sure people under estimated Al 'Queda, but we all did. The best you can do in this situation, is learn from your mistakes.

-Nick

·
Registered
125 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
So tell me, what should Bush have done? If clinton put together this whole big thing, show me where bush disregarded it.
Bush and his crew took their time in looking at the recommendations, particularly frightening in light of the fact that they were WARNED that an attack IN THE US was imminent. Condi Rice had a meeting with the author of the plan (who was appointed to the Bush administration) shortly after inauguration in 2001. The administration set up the schedule to talk about it, but dragged their feet. NO other high-level (VP, cabinet) officials met about it until September. Meanwhile, in August, Bush was enjoying the longest vacation of ANY President in almost 50 years. All the while FBI agents tried to warn the administration about Middle Eastern men taking flight lessons, and 1 field agent even sent a fax to headquarters saying that he thought they were going to fly into the WTC.

So, had the plan been implemented back in the Spring, coordination would have been in place and 9/11 would have been averted.

No way around it--The Bushies DROPPED THE BALL!

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
George was probably studying national security stuff while on vacation.

He certainly wasn't doing crossword puzzles.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Black,

Again while I udnerstand if looks very clear now. I have to tell you that bet it was not at the time. I have no doubt that our FBI, CIA, and current administration has anything other then our saftey in mind.

Could things have been done to stop 9/11? Sure, but they didn't seem resonable or relevant.

-Nick

·
Registered
125 Posts
And I contend that the Bush Administration could have prevented it, had they actually listened to the outgoing Clinton Administration (impossible to do, apparently, as the Dems are know-nothing shit bags...) and done their damn jobs.

Instead of playing golf and watching his stupid dog (R.I.P.) chase gophers. And focusing like a laser beam on how to oust Saddam.

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
This was emailed to me (from the Philippines) days after the September 11 attacks. Draw your own conclusions.

In 1993, the World Trade Center was bombed, using a truck loaded with explosives and parked at the basement.. The planner and head of that group that engineered that bombing was Yousef (a Bin Laden follower), assisted by a man named Murad. And several others. In 1995, during the visit of Pope John Paul II in the Philippines, the police arrested a group of 7 Arabs at their temporarily rented apartment near the Nuncio’s palace where the Pope was staying. The arrest frustrated a plan to assassinate the Pope. The leader of the group that was arrested is Murad. With the arrest, the police was able to confiscate several documents including their lap top. From the laptop , the police learned about what they call "Operation BOJINKA" . Operation Bojinka (meaning Load Explosion) is the plan of the group of Bin Laden, to hijack eleven (11) airplanes coming from outside of the US and going into the US. Targeted were mostly US carriers like Northwest, United , TWA, etc. The plan is to crash the planes into US targets like the White House, Pentagon, CIA Headquarters, World Trade Center towers, Sears Tower and others, totaling 11. Murad and another one arrested ‘being the bombers of the WTC in 1993, were turned over to the US FBI, including the data on Operation Bojinka. So as you can see, the US authorities are very much aware of the treat of such an attack.

After the arrest of Murad in the Philippines, Yousef, the leader of the 1993 WTC bombing, was later arrested in Pakistan with 3 other terrorists, and brought to the US for trial. Yousef was sentenced to life imprisonment on September 11, (1999?) . So, now, you can see the significance of the September 11 World Trade Towers and Pentagon attacks.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
BlackB5inVA said:
The outgoing Clinton administration put together a plan in December 2000/January 2001 on how to deal with Al Queda. It consisted of pretty much what's been done since 9/11 by the Bushies--freeze assets, coordinate intelligence, actively pursue then in Afghanistan. It was handed over the the Bush administration, along with a stern warning by a Clinton terrorism panel that Al Queda WOULD strike in the US and that Al Queda would take a majority of Bush's time. The plan was highly praised by former Republican cabinet members.

And Bush....did nothing.
The clinton administration put this plan togeather in responce to the WTC attack in '93. So if the Bush administration was on the same time plan as the clinton administration he is ahead of the curve by some 6years. The fact that it was implemented with almost NOTHING resembling the clinton plan is probably due to the changes in intelegence from '93 to 2001. Also, the clinton administrations plan had SEVER limits on the CIA and NSA as far as who they could use as tipsters. The clintons said you couldn't use information from terrorists, or criminals :crazy: . So, it might be me but wouldn't only terrorists and criminals have that information? It's probably just me...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Whatnow said:
BlackB5inVA said:

And Bush....did nothing.
The clinton administration put this plan togeather in responce to the WTC attack in '93. So if the Bush administration was on the same time plan as the clinton administration he is ahead of the curve by some 6years. The fact that it was implemented with almost NOTHING resembling the clinton plan is probably due to the changes in intelegence from '93 to 2001. Also, the clinton administrations plan had SEVER limits on the CIA and NSA as far as who they could use as tipsters. The clintons said you couldn't use information from terrorists, or criminals :crazy: . So, it might be me but wouldn't only terrorists and criminals have that information? It's probably just me...
Wrong. Stop getting your "facts" from Fox News. The plan was drawn up in response to the USS Cole bombing. Several times since 1993 Clinton proposed INCREASING CIA and anti-terrorism funding, only to be rejected by the Republican-controlled Congress. Clinton also authorized the assasination of Bin Laden, btw.

Also BTW, all the perps of the '93 WTC bombing are in jail.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
BlackB5inVA said:
Bush and his crew took their time in looking at the recommendations, particularly frightening in light of the fact that they were WARNED that an attack IN THE US was imminent. Condi Rice had a meeting with the author of the plan (who was appointed to the Bush administration) shortly after inauguration in 2001. The administration set up the schedule to talk about it, but dragged their feet. NO other high-level (VP, cabinet) officials met about it until September. Meanwhile, in August, Bush was enjoying the longest vacation of ANY President in almost 50 years. All the while FBI agents tried to warn the administration about Middle Eastern men taking flight lessons, and 1 field agent even sent a fax to headquarters saying that he thought they were going to fly into the WTC.

So, had the plan been implemented back in the Spring, coordination would have been in place and 9/11 would have been averted.

No way around it--The Bushies DROPPED THE BALL!
The person who sent the fax was fired for being an alarmist by the clinton apointed head of the FBI. I guess if it would have come out the clintons did nothing for nearly 7years he might have lost his job SOONER. I think someone droped the ball but I don't think it was the Bush adm. Had this plan been put togeather before the terrorists new we were not going to do anything to defend ourselves I think they would have thought twice about attacking us.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
BlackB5inVA said:
Wrong. Stop getting your "facts" from Fox News. The plan was drawn up in response to the USS Cole bombing. Several times since 1993 Clinton proposed INCREASING CIA and anti-terrorism funding, only to be rejected by the Republican-controlled Congress. Clinton also authorized the assasination of Bin Laden, btw.

I almost never watch Fox as I don't own a TV. But to think the sole effectiveness of the CIA and NSA is atributed to funding we should have the best schools on the planet and should have known about 9/11 before the planners were born. Seria offered Bin Laden to the clinton administration as late as 11/00 as he TURNED THEM DOWN. If he authorized the assasination of Bin Laden why didn't he get him from Seria and kill him in the cage they had him in? The bombing of a US ship had been publicised on Aljazira TV for almost two months before it happend. They told us where the attack was going to happen and when. The clintons did NOTHING for that too. The plan was first sent to the CIA and FBI for approval and correction 6months before the USS Cole and was published after. So, please start getting your news from someplace and not ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. If you only rely on them you will always know NOTHING.

·
0 Posts
I cant believe we are even gonna bother with this its like tennis, back and forth, back and forth, if they can't deny redirect it.

Clinton could have stopped it, and bush knew about it. This is why the electoral process needs a enema, I get annoyed around election time, I know this sounds crazy but is there really an honest politician out there.

Stop for just a second and think of how many division of intelligence there are in our government and then imagine how many impending threats they sift through daily. They are only true after they happen or are intercepted. :crazy:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Whatnow said:
BlackB5inVA said:

I almost never watch Fox as I don't own a TV. But to think the sole effectiveness of the CIA and NSA is atributed to funding we should have the best schools on the planet and should have known about 9/11 before the planners were born. Seria offered Bin Laden to the clinton administration as late as 11/00 as he TURNED THEM DOWN. If he authorized the assasination of Bin Laden why didn't he get him from Seria and kill him in the cage they had him in? The bombing of a US ship had been publicised on Aljazira TV for almost two months before it happend. They told us where the attack was going to happen and when. The clintons did NOTHING for that too. The plan was first sent to the CIA and FBI for approval and correction 6months before the USS Cole and was published after. So, please start getting your news from someplace and not ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. If you only rely on them you will always know NOTHING.
ok, your arguments are suspect, as it was supposedly Sudan who offered Bin Laden, not "Seria". But, they never did. It was an intermediary Pakistani-American with financial interests in Sudanese oil who was trying to broker with the US Government to have Bin Laden turned over. But, in talking with the Sudanese government directly, no such offer ever existed.

That intermediary, btw, is now a Fox News analyst on the Middle East.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
BlackB5inVA said:
ok, your arguments are suspect, as it was supposedly Sudan who offered Bin Laden, not "Seria". But, they never did. It was an intermediary Pakistani-American with financial interests in Sudanese oil who was trying to broker with the US Government to have Bin Laden turned over. But, in talking with the Sudanese government directly, no such offer ever existed.

That intermediary, btw, is now a Fox News analyst on the Middle East.
Fine Sudan, that fact that it was testified to in front of the intelligent committee by one of the intermediaries and admitted to by members of the clinton administration I guess means nothing.

Let’s just agree that no matter what Bush and the Republicans do YOU will not like them and probably HATE them. You will find fault with everything they do and the clintons were the best thing that ever happened to the US. Where as I HATE the clintons and think they were the worst thing to happen to this country since LBJ or FDR.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
16 Participants
jimbob
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing