Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed these directions to get the climatronic fault codes:

"Also, check your climatronic for faults. Turn the key to on (no need to start). Hold down ECON and RECIRC buttons simultaneously. The display will show codes. Write down the three-character alphanumeric code like "4F8". Press the red TEMP button to step through more codes. Write down all the codes you see. If you see "444", that means no problems. When you see code 000, that's the end of the codes. Press ECON to exit. Post the codes here."

Codes are:
256 (or possibly 25b, though all other codes with alphanumeric characters have capital letters not lower case)
4F7
4F8
4FA

What do these codes mean?

I just got the car (03 GTX v6 4mo) and have a 30 day warranty - aside from asking to either have the heater core replaced or to have it flushed really well (I've seen the http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/255973-if-youre-singing-i-aint-got-no-heat-blues.html thread, and a few others), what else do I need to know/ask for re the lack of heat?

Sara

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It is 25b, rather than 256. Hexadecimal uses 0-9 and A-F; an upper case b looks like an 8. You can use the Windows 7 calculator in Programmer mode to convert Hex to Dec, too.

You have codes for all four of the flap servos, which probably indicates a problem with the Climatronic control head rather than the servos themselves. Definitely get this fixed under your warranty--show them you can't select dash/foot/defrost vents.

At least one other person I've assisted on this forum fixed their nearly identical problem by replacing the Climatronic control head. The control head has a 5VDC 10mA power supply for the feedback potentiometers in the servos, and it failed. That makes the control head think the servos aren't moving, since it gets no feedback. (Search my old posts for more details, about a year ago.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts