Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

I wonder if anyone ever been there. A couple of months ago I noticed that I was only getting air from the left side of the center dash vent, the passenger side was completely dead. A quick scan on VCDS showed me the following:

Code:
00603 -  Footwell/defroster Flap Positioning Motor (V85)
            37-00 -  Faulty
That's when I realized that pressing the defrost or the footwell buttons on the climatronic panel was completely useless as absolutely nothing happened. The V85 flap motor was dead.

After googling around I noticed that the 8D1820511B had been canceled and that the new part number for that was 8D1820511F. I was able to pick another unit on eBay from a '04 Passat (mine is a 98, so whatever.)

Yadda yadda yadda, took the car to the AC shop, told the guy I needed to replace the V85 servomotor from the climatronic. The guy told me it would take some time as he would probably need to disassemble lots of parts around the accelerator pedal (where this motor sits). One week later, when he gave me the car back, I noticed that the defrost and the footwell air vents were switched, I mean, whenever I pressed the defrost button I got air coming out of the footwell vents and vice-versa. :(

As I pointed that out to the mech, the guy refused to accept he had screwed things up and said that the servo motor could only fit in one way which means that there was no way he could have messed up the installation. He also hooked up VCDS, showed me the error codes were gone, and performed several tests on the unit in front of me to state his point. This is what we came by:

TEST 1: screen capture after pressing the footwell button. Only the footwell symbol was being displayed at the climatronic unit

TEST 2: screen capture after pressing the defrost button. Only the defrost symbol was being displayed at the climatronic unit

So, according to the guy (and I kinda believe him), the servomotor itself is doing its job as expected because the specified and measured values from each mode are almost identical (footwell/defroster).

If that's correct, what's going on here? Any ideas? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flap is not correctly aligned with the motor.
I see, but according to what I saw there's only one way for the motor to fit in, so how come it's misaligned? :confused:

One thing that gets me to thinking, though, is that maybe the servomotor was set to, suppose footwell position when it was mounted and the flaps from the car were set to defrost position. This could explain why they got out of sync. If this is the case, how could I fix it?

If they are actually out of syinc, I thought about something like this:

1. Set the climatronic to, suppose, footwell position. This would set the servomotor to footwell position but would also move the flaps to defrost mode as they are out of sync;
2. Dettach the servomotor from its flap but keep it connected to the wiring harness;
3. Set the climatronic to defrost, this way the servomotor would go into derost position;
4. Get the servomotor back to its place. As the flaps had just stayed in defrost mode (from step 1), putting it back together should get the flap and the servomotor realigned.

You think that would work? Also, is there any easy way to reach that motor?

Thanks!

·
I Know Stuff
10,579 Posts
I don't know off hand how to remove the motor.

That might work, but thinking about it further it seems more likely that the wiring polarity to the motor might be reversed.
I suggest you try swapping the 2 motor pins in the plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.