Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have searched as much as I can in the forums. But can’t find a quick answer.
On my UK model Passat b5.5 I have had to disconnect the red connector off the Climatronic control. That way fuse 5 stops blowing.
Ive tried the home link fix but that wasn’t the problem.
With the red connector unplugged the u it works. So hot and cold and variable fans and speed and direction and fuse 5 doesn’t blow.
The only thing that doesn’t work is outside temp in Climatronic display (works fine on dash display) and the illumination of Climatronic unit

what else does the red plug connect too? So I know where to look for the short?
I had just jets washed the headlamps heavily just before this problem. But can’t see why washing headlamps would make fuse 5 blow.

Oh and fuse 5 only blew when engine running. Ignition on all fine. Engine running fuse 5 blew.

no blowing fuses with red plug disconnected though

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm wondering if your ambient air temp sensor is shorted after washing the headlights? I'm just reaching for ideas. What makes a UK Passat different from an American Passat? I can look up the wiring and see where that plug leads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the ambient air temp sensor located near to the headlights? Sorry to sound useless. But it must still be working as the outside temp is showing in the centre of the speedo console. Just not on the Climatronic display.

I’m not sure if there is any difference between a UK or US Passat. But thought the more info I give the better. Lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What engine does your car have?

The red 20-pin Climatronic connector has various sensor inputs, i.e. the flap positions, vent temperature sensors, and sunlight sensor, but really nothing that consumes power, or would even blow a fuse if it had a short on it. The pinout is on Bentley page V87-23.

You could check for voltage on the pins (in the harness). Several of them will have 5VDC (through the flap position potentiometers), but nothing should have any higher voltage on it.

I ask about the engine because the Diesel (if you have that) may be slightly different. There a few Climatronic pins that are "optional."

The ambient temperature sensor signal is obtained from the instrument cluster, not directly from the sensor, so that doesn't seem likely to be the issue. The W8 engine has an engine coolant cutoff valve for the heater controlled by the Climatronic, but neither the 1.8T or V6 have that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts