Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is one of ya local. I want to get the codes from my car. I am worried with this recent talk about cam seals going bad that this might be my problem now. I cannot afford 800 bucks to get this work done and no one is able to tell me if it is a DIY.

I want to VAGCOM in case maybe it is a hose problem or if the codes can point to anything.. and someone with more insight than me.

I see the smoke puff coming from behind the block. The 1.8T is chewing up oil like no body's business. It isn't coming from the exhaust. The valve cover gasket replacement seemed to have fixed that. It builds up in the engine bay and blows wherever the wind takes it.. cabin, out the front grill, our anywhere else.

Honestly about to freak out here cause I cannot afford a cam seal replacement at that outrageous price. Driving with all this smoke is an embarrasment and just not healthy.

:cry: :nervous:

Your help would be so amazing.. a true blessing.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. Maybe it is coming out of the exhaust. I jsut started it up and it is the exact opposite of what I just said ten minutes ago. It was POOURING out of the exhaust. Seems the VCG is bad again (or even more expensive my luck, the valve cover is warped! :cry: ). There seems to be some oil splashing near the turbo. Bad gasket? A huge pain?

I need some serious help. I am totally regretting this B5 scene. Should been a rice boy like every other teen.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried to clean some up tonight for accurate diagnosis. I will get them soon however. Tomorrow I wil post them.

THanks Atomic Alex. You are my favorite B5er in the world.
Honestly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey PassatVariantPunk,

Sorry to hear of your issues. Hope you get past it and so you can enjoy your B5. My son is at Clemson - freshman from Jamaica (not many of those!!).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the responses. I am still a little freaked about this whole thing.

It is awesome to see so many Tigers too. The Clemson Family is very large. There never seems to be many degrees of seperation between someone and Clemson.

I have taken some pictures per your request AtomicAlex. There are two; both of the same area but at different angles. The locale is passenger side of the block, right below the turbo. That reflective metal (heat sheild?) is splattered with oil. So is the part below it which can be better seen in one of the photos. I was unable to get a good shot of the oil from behind the block, nearest the firewall. I suppose it would be the tranny that meets the block down low in this area, which is pretty dirty from oil residue and the trapped dirt. Again, from this area is where puffs of smoke can be seen at times.

As an update, it is hogging oil still. Sometimes it smokes really bad.. sometimes it doesnt. The smell is becoming awful. Would it be the synthetic oil which smells worse? To be a connssieur of the odor I would say a very exotic burning rubber smell..

Thanks to all who assist me in fixing this embrassing and potentially lethal problem with my 1.8T.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOS

CEL came on finally today. Oil is burning up hardcore; pouring out of the exhaust on the way back from church. Buddy I was riding with and I were chatting and believe it is the turbo. The turbo still is running as well as when I got it 10K miles ago. No wierd noises either...?

Unable to pull the codes.. my Advanced Auto Parts wont do it for me.. and I seem to be up the creek with local help. I will still try and get the codes pulled and posted. I think the codes will be misfiring related. It seems the car, as it approaches idle (driving, coming to a stop with clutch in and brake on) the RPM dips down low and jumps a few times.. then settles.. and occasionally bounces again.

[/b]

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Stephen...

Sounds like the turbo is on its way out. It almost seems like the inner bearings of the turbo compressor wheel is shot. The K03's on the '98s were prone to fail in certain ways. Known ways: sludge building up in the oil line going to the turbo, clogging flow, and then basicly seizes the compressor wheel. Wastegate play/failure is also a known issue.

I'd lean towards the issue of the car is turbo related, and the only way to tell would be to see if you can get a boost gauge somewhere. Id love to help you out, but things for me these coming weeks are pretty busy around these parts.

Hope that you can find something. Even a local mechnic may be able to run some stuff and see about diagnosing the car?

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BUMP. Atomic Alex do you have any more input given those photographs?

Thanks for all those who are reading and putting in their honest help.

Stephen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
PassatVariantPunk
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing