Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to identify the source of this problem (see attached image.) I don't see any flaking in my clearcoat, so I'm really unsure what it is I'm looking at. The streaks are clear and glossy, while the patches inbetween them are dull.

This is on a 2002 B5.

Can anyone help me by telling me what I'm looking at, and how to fix it ?

Thanks

IMG_5542.jpg

·
Registered
28,226 Posts
It looks like an iceflow breaking up. The pattern is a bit odd as there are several straight lines, but I have no idea what would cause that.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Has something like a tarp or car cover been laying on the car for a period of time?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Either something laying on the can or, if the roof was painted in the last few years it wasn't cured properly and the paint and or clear shrunk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my idea in the paint condition right now, The only way to solve it is either by wet sanding and polishing or strip the top coat and spray a new layer of paint.

·
Registered
2001.5 B5.5 1.8T stick
5,604 Posts
Trying to identify the source of this problem (see attached image.) I don't see any flaking in my clearcoat, so I'm really unsure what it is I'm looking at. The streaks are clear and glossy, while the patches inbetween them are dull.

This is on a 2002 B5.

Can anyone help me by telling me what I'm looking at, and how to fix it ?

Thanks

View attachment 58401
Damn, this is what's on my 02 beater I just bought... Must have been a shitty factory clear, a few Germans at the factory had too many beers at lunch I bet...

·
Registered
28,226 Posts
It makes me sad when someone's beater is newer than my car :(

·
Registered
2001.5 B5.5 1.8T stick
5,604 Posts
looks like oxidation or etching. I would try polishing it.
As soon as it warms up I will try to get rid of it, worse is on the roof but that I could always vinyl wrap if it bothers me too much... The rest isn't too bad so I hope it will go away with a good buff...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just as a heads up. the clear coat on our cars is fairly hard so it may take a bit longer to get the results you want

1 - 13 of 13 Posts