Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the engine covers off this weekend to paint them, and printed out Jesstzn's recommended procedure. Everything cleaned up and sanded well. On a lark, I used Duplicolor's grey primer as I knew there might be issues with hiding. I used their 500F engine enamel in (yes) Universal White with good results as it matches my calipers. I wanted a bit more gloss, so I ran out for a can of clear.

I warmed everything up with the hairdryer, but didn't do so well with the clear and puckered everything up pretty badly. :( So I think I either did not have it hot enough or just used too much clear.

Now everything is sanded down and waiting for some fresh *very light* coats of more white. Grr! I should have left well-enough alone! The upside is that I will have almost no texture left after all this. That will surely contribute to some good gloss. I hope.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I'm sorry you had those issues .. Was the clear also a Duplicolor product? Sometimes even like brands have different clears and one won't work with the other.

When I did the Plasti-Kote clear I warmed the cover then laid it on heavy on about a 8" sq area and hit it with the hair dryer .. then another 8" sq area and had no puckering at all.

I suspect it was the carriers ( solvents) in the clear that desolved the base coat. I remember having issues with Duplicolor in the past ..

BTW before I cleared mine I had a test piece of 4" plastic pipe I was using as a gynea pig .. I would test the paint / tecnique / compatability on it before I hit the engine parts. .

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Kathy,

It's a common problem with recoating. There is a 'window' that is NOT allowable (enamels and laquers alike) for recoating. Typically it's something like... "apply recoat 30-90 minutes after initial coat OR 48 hours after."

The problem being partial curing (drying) of the original layers. Get the new coat on B4 they set up too much, you're cool, they integrate. But hit that "DON'T" time, and the solvents in the new coat partially disolves the base coats (but not all or uniformly), and you get the wrinkle. Thus if you wait 48h for a full cure, then it's OK again.

Let it dry well (48h :poke: ) sand down the blemishes, and go again. :cry:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris - I think you are right. I think I will hit them again on wednesday. I have started to sand them down again and hopefully I will end up with a super-fine finish.

Dee - I was surprised - I've actually used a bunch of their high-heat stuff inthe past with great success. I think I blew the timing. :oops:

I'll post pics on the weekend.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Kathy,
You dont need to use high heat stuff. Try to touch the engine cover when you get back home from work. It is not that hot a all. I used just regular paint 4 weeks ago and it looks awsome. Let me know. I will show you how it looks on mine.
Make sure the paint is dry when you apply the clearcoat. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
atomicalex
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing