Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2004-03-23-clear_x.htm

But new political contribution data tell a different story about Clear Channel (CCU) executives. They have given $42,200 to Bush, vs. $1,750 to likely Democratic nominee John Kerry in the 2004 race.

What's more, the executives and Clear Channel's political action committee gave 77% of their $334,501 in federal contributions to Republicans. That's a bigger share than any other entertainment company, says the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
OMG, you are nuts, the repubs want much tighter regs to help promote their stupid family values propositions...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
duandcc said:
OMG, you are nuts, the repubs want much tighter regs to help promote their stupid family values propositions...
Advertisers promote the 'values' whether there is deregulation or not. The FCC rule changes set up clear channel to buy out entire markets and lock in near monopolies. It has nothing to do with values. It's about money and big business.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
duandcc said:
The FCC de-regulated rules regarding Monopolies NOT enforcement of standards... I'm not nuts.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Some facts on who donates to which party. Top 9 contributors are to the dems:

http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/topcontribs.asp?cycle=2002

Saban Capital Group
$9,336,000
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees
$9,027,705
99%
1%
Solidly Democratic

Newsweb Corp
$7,435,500
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

Service Employees International Union
$6,769,346
96%
3%
Solidly Democratic

Shangri-La Entertainment
$6,756,000
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

Carpenters & Joiners Union
$6,132,249
91%
9%
Solidly Democratic

Communications Workers of America
$5,481,791
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

Laborers Union
$5,128,200
93%
7%
Solidly Democratic

American Federation of Teachers
$5,072,015
99%
1%
Solidly Democratic

National Assn of Realtors
$4,222,113
46%
54%
On the fence

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
91 16V Jetta said:
Some facts on who donates to which party. Top 9 contributors are to the dems:

http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/topcontribs.asp?cycle=2002

Saban Capital Group
$9,336,000
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees
$9,027,705
99%
1%
Solidly Democratic

Newsweb Corp
$7,435,500
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

Service Employees International Union
$6,769,346
96%
3%
Solidly Democratic

Shangri-La Entertainment
$6,756,000
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

Carpenters & Joiners Union
$6,132,249
91%
9%
Solidly Democratic

Communications Workers of America
$5,481,791
100%
0%
Solidly Democratic

Laborers Union
$5,128,200
93%
7%
Solidly Democratic

American Federation of Teachers
$5,072,015
99%
1%
Solidly Democratic

National Assn of Realtors
$4,222,113
46%
54%
On the fence
This is expected. Unions and labor always give money to Dems while Business gives money to the republicans. Fair enough. Good post!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Doesn't one of the big US Financiers (George Soros maybe?) contribute millions to advertising against the Republicans and Bush? It's not direct money to the political parties so he's free to spend whatever money he wants.

There's always two sides to the coin.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Medrosje said:
Doesn't one of the big US Financiers (George Soros maybe?) contribute millions to advertising against the Republicans and Bush? It's not direct money to the political parties so he's free to spend whatever money he wants.

Soros is a Russian financier. He gave 7 million total to Moveon.org and another group which I forget right now. Yes he allocated his funds to negate positive contributions to Bush (regardless of the top 9 contributors Bush has WAY more money). He expressly stipulated that the money couldn't be used to endorse any one candidate but to defame the President. A tactic I'm not happy with but it evens the field a bit. Soros is also known as the man who broke the British Bank (Pound) in one week with monetary investment when he heard a rumor that the Euro was going to slide against it. He literally made 1 billion in a week. He admits that his business practices are unethical at times but tries to even the score by doleing out massive checks to causes of all kinds. His capital investment in Russia is said to have single handedly saved the burgeoning democracy there a few years ago from total implosion. He is also said to have single handedly bought and paid for Slobodan Milosevic and handed him over to the Hague.
He is dangerous however as his world view is what motivates his philantrophy and he has enough smarts and clout to move global politics to his fiscal favor. He is probably the single most powerful man worldwide outside of politics. He is an Oligarch of classic definition and I'm incredibly wary of his inolvement inour politics. He is motivated to involve himself because he deems GWB a threat to his fiscal salience. Very dangerous. I like his money though. It will help knock that jerk in the Whitehouse down a peg and in this case no matter what the end result the MEANS he is employing serves our democracy by leveling the playing field fiscally (it doesn't do alot granted as both contenders as yet are MORONS!)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Spirare said:
Medrosje said:

Soros is a Russian financier. He gave 7 million total to Moveon.org and another group which I forget right now. Yes he allocated his funds to negate positive contributions to Bush (regardless of the top 9 contributors Bush has WAY more money). He expressly stipulated that the money couldn't be used to endorse any one candidate but to defame the President. A tactic I'm not happy with but it evens the field a bit. Soros is also known as the man who broke the British Bank (Pound) in one week with monetary investment when he heard a rumor that the Euro was going to slide against it. He literally made 1 billion in a week. He admits that his business practices are unethical at times but tries to even the score by doleing out massive checks to causes of all kinds. His capital investment in Russia is said to have single handedly saved the burgeoning democracy there a few years ago from total implosion. He is also said to have single handedly bought and paid for Slobodan Milosevic and handed him over to the Hague.
He is dangerous however as his world view is what motivates his philantrophy and he has enough smarts and clout to move global politics to his fiscal favor. He is probably the single most powerful man worldwide outside of politics. He is an Oligarch of classic definition and I'm incredibly wary of his inolvement inour politics. He is motivated to involve himself because he deems GWB a threat to his fiscal salience. Very dangerous. I like his money though. It will help knock that jerk in the Whitehouse down a peg and in this case no matter what the end result the MEANS he is employing serves our democracy by leveling the playing field fiscally (it doesn't do alot granted as both contenders as yet are MORONS!)
...dayum! that's a well-written post (I would say that all the other ones you've been active in lately are as well). ok, so it was soros. i guess i was just trying to illustrate that everyone always talks about how the GOP gets all the dough which is not the case when there are well-funded organizations whose sole purpose is anti-Bush.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Medrosje said:
Spirare said:
Medrosje said:

...dayum! that's a well-written post (I would say that all the other ones you've been active in lately are as well). ok, so it was soros. i guess i was just trying to illustrate that everyone always talks about how the GOP gets all the dough which is not the case when there are well-funded organizations whose sole purpose is anti-Bush.
Should have proof read it, spelling errors abound :wink: Thanks though.

I honestly think that if we Americans regardless of Party want to reclaim our so called Democracy the first step would be REAL campaign finance reform. I'm not talking about dollar basis but where the money comes from and how it makes the candidates beholden and forces them to abandon idealism for fiscal concern. It hurts us ALL in the end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Spirare
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing