Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a pair of the lightly smoked side markers (from Rus AKA Dubstopimports) for Christmas, thanks to thew GF! and they are pretty much clear.
What I was wondering it, with the clear lens, how necessary is it to get a clear or chrome bulb in it, rather than the orange/amber bulb. With the amber, will they reflect orange at all when off?

Here's the chrome bulb from ECS:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Flyer-B5_Best_Sellers/ES252506/

What are you guys running with your clear fender signals? amber, clear, or chrome. I wanna get these before Christmas so that I don't have to take the markers back off the change the bulbs...

PS: she also got me a euroswitch ;) :whistle:
Gotta love the holidays

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
The clear side repeater lights that I have seen always have a chrome part that covers the tip of the bulb. You don't see the bulb directly. When the amber bulb illuminates, the light bounces off the back reflector surface and you see the amber colored light.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-1.8T/Lighting/Side_Markers/ES10062/

I bought a set of chrome bulbs for my clear corner (front turn & parking) lights. I put them in and after I saw how much dimmer they were than the normal bulbs, I took them right back out.

my .02 cents

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya, there is a chrome cover, but i feel like the amber still reflects during the day, when not on. But i've seen you post in other threads that the chrome ones dim the signal a little.
I just don't want to put these clear lens ones on and see amber! lol can't see in mine now as they are pretty yellow...
I may do chrome, but they also offer a clear bulb too.... better than amber i guess, won't reflect amber during the day.

Ur running them newman?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I use Hoen Chromium bulbs in my side turn signals (and city lights, hi-beams and fogs).
Haven't noticed them being any dimmer, but if you run smoked signal covers you might be dimmer anyway?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I use the Osram Diadem bulbs. They're brighter than a regular bulb and mostly clear except for a slight tint of blue when the sunlight gets in to the reflector, but that looks kinda cool against my metallic grey paint. And I do like that they're much brighter too.

http://store.candlepower.com/diadem.html

I sent Daniel Stern an Email a long time ago and he sent back recommendations for all my lights on the Passat, and every single one has been excellent! I've got 65W's in the high and low beams, Osram Nightbreakers in the fogs, Osram Diadems in the turns, and they even have 6watt as opposed to 5watt (60% brighter) bulbs for the interior and under the doors.

(Edit) Ohhhh... I thought you guys were talking about the turn signal bulbs.... Ummm, nevermind. :)

Yeah why not just get the covered light like the B5.5's have and put any damn bulb you want in there. Maybe a green one? ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the Osram Diadem bulbs. They're brighter than a regular bulb and mostly clear except for a slight tint of blue when the sunlight gets in to the reflector, but that looks kinda cool against my metallic grey paint. And I do like that they're much brighter too.

http://store.candlepower.com/diadem.html

I sent Daniel Stern an Email a long time ago and he sent back recommendations for all my lights on the Passat, and every single one has been excellent! I've got 65W's in the high and low beams, Osram Nightbreakers in the fogs, Osram Diadems in the turns, and they even have 6watt as opposed to 5watt (60% brighter) bulbs for the interior and under the doors.

(Edit) Ohhhh... I thought you guys were talking about the turn signal bulbs.... Ummm, nevermind. :)

Yeah why not just get the covered light like the B5.5's have and put any damn bulb you want in there. Maybe a green one? ;)
haha ya man, this is true. those side markers that I got look pretty nice tho..

As for those diadem bulbs... i realllly want them and have searched for like the past two m,onths to find the right ones, but they don't make them.
The link you gave is for the BAU15s, which has pins that aren't 180 degrees from each other...
I have a b5 and i need the bulb with BA15s (180 degrees from each other)
The one you listed works for the B5.5 but not B5...

wish there was a solution for this... :mad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently put clear turn signal lenses on my BMW. I just ended up buying chrome bulbs off ebay so I wouldn't have the egg-yolk effect. However, as was mentioned they are a bit dim although you can still see them in the day time and I don't think it is much of a hazard. These ones seem to be yellow/orange bulbs with a chrome coating.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have a B5 and I think I got my Diadem front turn signal bulbs from ECS? Call them and tell them what you're looking for. They may have them.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Osram-Sylvania_Silver_Star_Performance_Bulb/
:bowdown:

From that pic, they look like 180 degrees from each... nice but $30 is pretty steep for turn signal bulbs. maybe ecs would work out a deal :whistle:

as for my side marker bulbs, i think i'm gonna just leave the stock ones, from what i can tell, the chrome cover covers almost all of the bulb...

itching to get them on, GF won't let me get them or the euroswitch till christmas! pissed

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya, man... mine look pretty nice. Really do look sharp on a clean car

Also, as for the OP in this thread...
Anyone who is going to buy these or most other clear side markers: the regular bulb looks great in it. Most of the time you can't see any orange, only maybe in certain light angles theres a tinge of orange.
Chrome Amber bulbs are not necessary :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts