Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove and replace the shift knob on an 03 manual? I just purchased an OEM wood shift knob from another 03 and am going to install it (hopefully) myself. I did some searching, found a couple different pics, but nothing really cut and dry. Your help is appreciated.

-cbx

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
First you need to lift up your shift boot. This is going to take a little force, but dont be too scurrred. pry it up and lift over the knob. You should see the one to the left in this picture:

You need to cut off the little gold ring the you see wrapped around the white plastic part you see at the top. (The OEM shift knob should have come with a new ring like this. VW uses a special tool to "crimp" this ring around the base, but I am sure that you are a creative person and can figure out a way to clamp this ring aroung the shifter. If it did not come with a new ring then DO NOT cut the ring but simply try to widen the ring so that the knob will come off. Hopefully you will see what I mean when you lift up the boot)
After the ring is cut you will be able to pull off the knob along with the boot.

Next there is a black plastic ring where the boot meets the bottom of the knob. This need to be pryed off so you can remove the boot. I had a difficult time with this, but I assure you that it does come off.

Once, that is done transfer the boot over to the new knob and replace the black plastic ring as it was on the old knob. If you get to thins point it should all be self explanatory. You are basically going to do the opposite of what you just did.

I know that this little write up is kinda of confusing, but this is the best description that i could come up with. It was more difficult than I thought it would be, but very doable. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or post here.
Good Luck.

If it looks like the one on the right...simply unscrew it, but I am sure you would not be asking if it was that easy.

Thad. :D

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
The shift boot is just clipped in, just work the edges and it will pop out rather easily.

The shift knob is held on by a metal clip, I just snipped it because my new knob did not need a clip. If you can figure out how to get the clip off without breaking it off, hopefully you can re-use it. If not go down to your local hardware store and get a small pipe fastener and tighten it up good, or else your knob will twist when you shift.

It is really an easy swap, it sounds a little more involved than it really is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
NoneRock
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing