Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I picked up my 98 Passat a few weeks ago after I inspected it, a friend inspected it, and the RAA inspected it. Apart from a few scratches and touch ups there was nothing wrong with the paint job.

A few days after taking it home I noticed the clear coat was pealing on the front right panel corner right next to the headlight. I dismissed it thinking I had prehaps overlooked it, but I aksed my VW dealer and they said it wouldnt get bigger and was always there, even though all inspections had failed to see it.

Now not only has it gotten bigger, Ive found some more pealing on the front bumper to the left, back bumper on the left, the thing between the window and the roof dont know what to call it, and some other minor places. This is starting to piss me off, its already too much and Im worried as the days go on Ill find more and more.

Now, Im going to go to the dealer on Tuesday to talk about a mysterious oil leak they seem to deny yet they keep cleaning my engine of oil and say they found no leak but the oil returns (2 times) and theres oil on the bottom of the engine and its dripped onto my drive way once (they say its wax). THis isnt a huge problem its not much oil and every engine has oil, but they clean and it comes back yet they deny it which pisses me off.

Now this clear coat pealing? The only thing I can think of is that it was resprayed and poorly coated. I asked three times, distinctly, has this car had any sort of accident. I was told three times by VW, "No". I asked the RAA to inspect it and tell me if they can see signs of an accident, I was told "No," what else could I have done?

Right now, Im fucking pissed off. I cleaned polished and waxed my car for three hours today, took it outside expecting to be sooo happy, and only got mad straight away at this fucking paint. I cant afford to have it resprayed right now, and no way this damage was there at the dealer. I think they waxed it down so much the pealing wasnt visible or something. The coat thats sort of pealing up was probably stuck down with wax.

What the fuck can I do? Can I complain to them? Tell them I want it resprayed or what? What are my rights? Can I sue? Contact VW's head office?

We dont have reps in Australia, only the main office.

I feel fucking mad right now, Im off to knock the bag around :mad: . Help me out guys, you're my only hope ;). :bow:

·
Registered
835 Posts
1. Sounds like they covered over the clear coat peeling with some sort of wax and now its starting to peel.
2. Cars leak oil because something isnt right. Its a sign that something has failed be it a crack in a hose or whatever - it needs to be identified.
How long have you actually owned the car? Was the oil leak identified by the inspections?

You should get onto your local Consumer Affairs (http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/) and see what your rights are, particularly as these appear to be a pre-existing conditions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Yep I think thats what they did.
2. Ive had it just over a week, yes the oil leak was identified by the RAA. VW said they couldnt locate the leak, that it was normal, and that they cleaned it. My question was if its normal why clean it? They said to make me happy. :puke:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
Rukas - there are two common places for VW engines to leak - the valve cover gasket is surely part of the problem, and the cam seals. Every VW we've owned has leaked oil from those two locations, some worse than others. The gaskets have to be replaced properly. Sharky has recommended a dab or rTV sealant at the edges of the cam seals tokeep them down when setting the VC and torqing the bugger down.

After 6 years, it is most definitely not cavity wax.

The clear coat issue would be either a bad respray as mentioned above, or just bad paint. Either way, there should be some remedy. Not sure how to handle that. Sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
atomicalex
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing