Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
One thing about a clear bra .. never wear a white silk blouse over it..

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't have a clear bra though I don't fancy it so much - seen cars having them (3M ones on VWs and Audis) and they turn yellow after a year or two. Kinda nasty.

My solution is a thick clear coat on my hood and bumper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What color is your car? In general I really like the X Pel product. I installed it on our SUV which is a light champagne color with excellent results. I tried it on the Passat (Indigo Blue) and it looked terrible. Every scuff, even from the install, shows up. Ended up taking it off. I then tried the Magna Bra which is like a big refrigerator magnet. It is a black matte finish cut to fit the contour of the hood. Looks excellent, fairly easy to install. Only problem is if you leave it on moisture can collect underneath. Now I am back to the old standby, standard Colgan Bra. Really only use it on highway trips (got to keep it clean underneath).

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car is silverstone grey...I'm just paranoid now because a damn truck sent a rock up and chipped my hood....the touch up paint looks terrible and I dont want another one...trouble with it is I dont remember hearing it hit and cant believe something could hit that hard and me not notice. Is there a wax that I can put on to harden things up??? I'm really worried about this...there is alot of construction in my area and quite a few trucks etc...leaving debris.... :cry:

·
Registered
122 Posts
no wax can protect your front end from a rock or shard debris. I agree with HKPassat. Thicker clear coat will do the job.

Soldja :drink:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I would just go to a body shop and have them put an extra thick coat of clear coat on the hood!? :???:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My clear bra has been on for year. No yellowing at all on my Fresco Green car. I installed it myself. Its not too hard, but if you get frustrated easily, get someone else to do it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
cbx said:
So I would just go to a body shop and have them put an extra thick coat of clear coat on the hood!? :???:
If it were only that easy I think more of us would be doing that. They will have to sand the existing clear so the new coat has a bonding surface. They will then lay several thin coats of clear that will dry into one "thick coat or clear. Then once they are finished your hood will shine better than new so you will more than likely want to reclear the entire car. Its a pain in the a$$ but definately worth the work in stares and compliments.
Soldja:drink:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soldja Boi said:
cbx said:
If it were only that easy I think more of us would be doing that. They will have to sand the existing clear so the new coat has a bonding surface. They will then lay several thin coats of clear that will dry into one "thick coat or clear. Then once they are finished your hood will shine better than new so you will more than likely want to reclear the entire car. Its a pain in the a$$ but definately worth the work in stares and compliments.
Soldja:drink:

shit :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts