Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a basic question, how do you keep you engine comparment clean..or rather keep the "armoralled" look instead of the dull gray look?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I work for an Infiniti dealership and even tho a lotta write ups tell u that u need to protect and cover electrical components to prevent damage u relaly don't even have to. I know it sounds careless bit its not really. U shouldn't direct the water too much toward electricaly component areas tho. The engine should be warm then hose it down real good, spray degreaser and hose again, then if u have compressed air use that to shoot away a lotta the water, then u can pat it dry a bit with a towel if needed, then apply some type of silicone to make it all shiny.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.

So, it's the silicone that makes it shiny. Ok, what kind? Where? Also, basic...and probably stupid question....I always remember covering my distributor cap on my other cars in cleaning the engine. Other than directly spray the fuse box, what needs to be covered or avoided.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i'd say avoid hosing the black box too much at the back of the engine on the driver side (ECU) around the headlight wire area, and by the throttle body cause there are some plugs over there. Basically tho u can still spray these areas just don't intentionally give tons of water pressure to them, but other than that most of our engine is pretty well covered and we dont' have a distributor so that's all good. Any silicone or armor all type product would work. Where i work we use a product called "Slippery Stuff" but i think its only available to dealership and such but i'm sure any auto parts store u could find something comparable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
B5veedub
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing