Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of questions and not too many answers about cleaning the throttle body. Does anyone have instructions, tips, methods, type of cleaner, etc.?

Thanks!
Flip

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just did mine the other day. It's realatively simple.

1. Buy carb cleaner and new throttle body gasket.
2. Remove electrical connector on TB.
3. Remove TB hose.
4. Remove actuator rod. The little spring comes off with fingernail pressure.
5. Remove TB cable. (this can be done before or after removing bolts)
6. Using a 6" 5mm allen wrench, remove 4 bolts. If you cannot turn by hand, attatch vice grips to allen wrench and turn.
7. Jiggle the TB to remove as it may be slightly stuck.
8. Remove old gasket.
9. Clean gasket surfaces with acetone.
10. Spray carb cleaner in both ends of TB.
11. Let stand for a few minutes.
12. Spray again and scrub with tooth brush.
13. Repeat 12 until you are satisfied.
14. Dry with lint free cloth.
15. Go get a beer and let TB air out.
16. Place new gasket on TB and insert first bolt.
17. Align gasket and insert second bolt. Top ones are easiest. (Do NOT crossthread the bolts or you will be FKD.
18. Insert 3rd and 4th bolt.
19. Tighten bolts in crisscross pattern.
20. If you used vice grips to get them loose, use vg to tighten. (DO NOT overtighten or you will break the tops off the bolts.
21. Throw away toothbrush used to clean TB. :lol:
22. Do TB alignment if necessary. My 99 just started right up.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Good steps! thats exactly what I did with mine, unfortunatly for me, curiosity got the best of me, and all the pieces were apart before I actually had a plan.

I cleaned it to the instructions above, but I was lucky, and My gasket was flawless.

I couldn't believe how dirty my junk was at only 25k!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
AnthroSSAT said:
pardon my ignorance.... do 2001 (B5) 1.8t tiptronics have TB's to clean?

Sure they do. The only difference is you've got a cable attached to yours! (DBW) when you look at your intake manifold, the very next piece connected to it is your throttle body. (on the right of the manifold, not twords the head) (its about as big as a fist)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spanky McGee said:
Sure they do. The only difference is you've got a cable attached to yours! (DBW)
pre-2001 are non-DBW ("drive by wire"). DBW means there's not a mechanical connection between the accelerator and the throttle. Kind of counter-intuitive. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you look at the active ingredients in TB cleaner and Carb cleaner, they are usually the same or have the same properties. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
flipsauce said:
Spanky McGee said:
Sure they do. The only difference is you've got a cable attached to yours! (DBW)
pre-2001 are non-DBW ("drive by wire"). DBW means there's not a mechanical connection between the accelerator and the throttle. Kind of counter-intuitive. :)

D'oh. What is the cable attached to the throttle bodies on AEB engines? I don't have one on my AWM?!?!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
bfit01 said:
I just did mine the other day. It's realatively simple.

15. Go get a beer and let TB air out.

Hope this helps.
Great write-up.

Which kind of beer shall I get and do I drink it before step 16 or after step 22?

:wink:
If it was me, it is get a beer in between each step. :lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you drink a beer between each step, you can go ahead an use the tooth brush from step 21. :lol: You won't know the difference anyway.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
bfit01 said:
If you look at the active ingredients in TB cleaner and Carb cleaner, they are usually the same or have the same properties. :thumbup:
Actually I think plane old carb cleaner has an extra ingredient that eats away at the TB coating… I think the TB has some sort of Teflon coating. I’d spend the extra $1 and go with Throttle body cleaner… sure beats paying $200 for a new TB.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
drive
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing