Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I clean these things? Even with the hose/soap/scrubbing the dirt doesn't come out.

Has anyone tried putting them in the washing machine on cold/gentile?

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
does she work for free? and are you willing to loan her out, i have a stiff brush she can use so she doesnt need to bring yours :thumbup:
You implying even the crack of dawn isn't safe?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I just did mine yesterday with Meguiars APC diluted about 7 to 1 and one of those round foam sponges on a stick from the dollar store (they make great wheel brushes). The mats came very clean.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Im sure you guys have seen Awesome cleaner referenced on here by Jesstzn, that works great on rubber mats. Spray it on, let it sit for half a minute, scrub for another half a minute, rinse. Voila. I got almost a gallon of the stuff for $3, dollar store ftw

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I've been meaning to get some of that stuff to hopefully get sealant out of microfiber towels instead of the more expensive Megs APC I've been using. Anyone use it for that? How does it work? Wolfgang sealant is a real PITA to get out.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Also guys, if you can find a water based tire shine, cut it in half with water, spray it on your mats, and then wipe it in with a terrycloth, the mats come out literally brand new. That's what we do at the detail shop I work at

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I think it might matter what kind of rubber mats you have. I have those raw rubber Monster Mats and for that you can use pretty strong stuff. I may try tire cleaner next time (soon), but my GF has those nice weathertech mats that seem to come clean much easier.

I think in addition to tire cleaner I'm going to try some old tire dressing I don't use anymore. Perhaps this will make them easier to clean next time, as well as make them look better.

·
Registered
955 Posts
At my job we use presoak on the weathertech mats, and follow up with a diluted solution of our tire shine. They come out literally so perfect I get personal satisfaction out of it haha. Definitely dilute the tire shine if you use it, especially if its silicone based.. don't wanna be slip sliding around

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have Monster Mats and I found the best thing was lysol wipes. I wipe them off once a week and they stay pretty clean. I have no idea if long term this is going to destroy the rubber, but they look good for now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just cleaned mine last night, and used Dawn (the dish washing soap), and cleaned them no problems.
That's because Dawn has a special grease-fighting formula in it. I've used it on other non-dish items, and it works like a charm. In fact, I've used a mild dish soap solution to clean the carpeted car mats from my '98 New Beetle and my '05 B5, and they came really clean. You let them air-dry a while, and you're good to go. Saves money that way, too. Dish soap's far cheaper - does the job for a fraction of the cost of other cleaning products. And it doesn't leave your interior smelling like a French cathouse like some of those perfumed carpet cleaners do! I used one such cleaner in my Bug, and for several months afterward, I had to put various air fresheners in the car to kill the sickly-sweet, almost nauseating stench.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts