Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help cleaning my beige leather interior. Its pretty, but it can get ugly when dirty. I have tried some leather cleaners including VW dealer brand. I need the best possible cleaners b/c my front seats, arm rest etc. are beginning to look pretty bad. Also, what would be the best thing to use for the carpet? I would like to try anything before taking it in for an expensive shampooing.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
To clean my annoying tan leather, I first use hot water and pour a little bit of salt into a bucket it and mix it around. Then, with a sponge, I use the mixture to wipe my leather seats (I was told this both cleans and softens the leather from the dealtailer who did my tint for me). Then I dry it off (make sure to use cotton rags not anothing synthetic) and apply the leather cleaner.

I was a little skeptical at first but I can definitely say my leather cleaner works a lot better after I clean off my leather with warm salt water first.

For my tan carpets I decided to bust out the oxyclean and I used a little bit of that (it's really strong) and scrubbed it into the carpets lightly with a small handheld brush. Then I use dmy wt/dry vac and vacuumed it up and rinsed with warm water and vacuumed it again with the vacuume. Be carefor nto to saturate your carpets when you're doing this.

If I had a steam carpet cleaner then thsi woudl ahve been alot easier but my way worked pretty well and it got rid of all the nasty stains.

I hope this works for you :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Be sure to recognize what is leather in your car. Not everything you see and touch is leather inside. Only the steering wheel wrap, certain sections of the seat, E-brake... cofirm their location for a leath cleaner on a vinyl product is not favorable.

On my folks' 01 GLX I used Vinylex all the way around the interior. Just be sure to use sparingly on the steering wheel and especially seat.

Be sure to CLEAN the interior then TREAT/CONDITION. Like shampoo and conditioner.

I am going to steam clean my interior (all grey cloth) this summer. If you go steam cleaning route please let me now with a PM I would love to hear feedback.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My wife has always recommended Murphy's oil soap for cleaning leather - her dad (and my wife) has ridden Goldwings for a lifetime and swears by it for all the leather on his bikes. The first time she cleaned the leather seats in my old car I was amazed at how good a job it did.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
The pro detailers use a 6:1 water / Woolite mix to clean leather. Spray it on a seat section and rub with a terry towel, use a toothbrush on stubborn areas. ( Preferably the wifes tooth brush ) Then treat with your favorite dressing ..

Cadillac and Lexus both recommend this mix.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input. I will definetly use some of your advice. In fact, I am thinking of a. using hot water and salt while spraying murphys oil on the seats, or just using the water and woolite mix (the 6:1 ratio, can u be a bit clearer on that please). Also where can i find murphy's oil - Home Depot! Thanx again!

PS. Does anyone actually know what is leather and what is vinyl on the seat in the passat?

·
Registered
869 Posts
The parts your back and ass touch are leather. The headrests are leather. Everything else is vinyl/leatherette. Some say the map pockets on the back of the seat are leather. I've never looked, but why would they be? :???:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
GoldenPassat said:
Thank you all for your input. I will definetly use some of your advice. In fact, I am thinking of a. using hot water and salt while spraying murphys oil on the seats, or just using the water and woolite mix (the 6:1 ratio, can u be a bit clearer on that please). Also where can i find murphy's oil - Home Depot! Thanx again!

PS. Does anyone actually know what is leather and what is vinyl on the seat in the passat?
Mix 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Sweet good luck! 8)

P.S. For vinyl and plastic (interior and exterior) I use armoral vinyl cleaner... it works wonders :thumbup:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've been using Mother's brand leather cleaner/conditioner for years. I keep a bottle of cleaner in the trunk for emergencies, and I usually give it a thorough cleaning/conditioning once every 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
RichieV6 what do you use on your dash and trim? they look like new

·
Registered
684 Posts
03AnthraciteGLS said:
RichieV6 what do you use on your dash and trim? they look like new
Your basic original Armor-All protectant spray. I don't use it too much cuz it gets a little greasy after a while.

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lexol's leather shampoo and conditioners are widely used for many leathers, car interiors being just one of those uses. Check around for pricing, Pep Boys carries Lexol in the US at $9-$10 per half liter bottle, whereas non-car shops will generally have more reasonable pricing. For example,

http://www.nationalbridle.com/CategorySearch.asp?Category=5 - Lexol 1 liter bottles @ $9.25 each

There are quite a few boutique leather cleaners and conditioners priced at if-they're-enthusiasts-they'll-buy-it levels, but there hasn't been much evidence that they work miracles over Lexol, at 10x the cost.

By the way, Armor-all was mentioned...if you're using it, keep using it. The silicone oil isn't a good substitute for the vinyl's plasticizers - once you stop application, the vinyl may be prone to cracking. A bit more information at:

http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=13

Lexol's Vinylex works well, leaving a surface with a slight sheen, but not oily or glossy.

Quite a bit of discussion of this at rec.autos.tech.

HTH,
Nikhil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts