Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point to a thread that explains this in more detail. Or has anyone recently done this procedure. I found a thread but it does not fully explain the process. My a/c is leaking water into the right front footwell due to the drain hole being clogged. I checked the sunroof and that's ok. The water was very cold in the footwell.Thanks

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I recall seeing a thread where the member removed the glove box to gain access to the water drain guide (funnel) on the right side of the HVAC box. He was able to remove the 3 nuts that hold it in place, remove it and clean it. Bentley's says to access the drain valve from beneath the car. On the V6 you have to remove a cat heat shield to get to it. It's on the passenger side firewall. Don't know about the 1.8. Sometimes the rubber drain sleeve valve sticks shut much like the sunroof ones. You can remove the valve and clear any debris inside the funnel. When reinstalling the valve, make sure the drain valve covers the end of the drain guide.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So by removing the battery will also gain access to this a/c drain hole? I saw the tread about the glove box, but it was not all detailed. Oddly enough its hot here in FL now when its supposed to be cold so I have to run the a/c. Just dryvac the footwell again and it ahd quite a bit of water. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
No, the a/c drain hole is not the drain under the battery. The drain under the battery, drains rain water out from the compartment the battery sits in. Make sure that is clear also. The a/c drain comes out from the passenger side through the firewall between the passenger compartment and the engine bay. You can not see it from the top. You have to access it from the bottom of the car. I believe the catalytic heat shield is only held on by a few nuts so as long as the nuts aren't corroded, it should be fairly easy to remove and access the drain.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a 2003 1.8T with this problem, & I just pulled back the carpet from the passenger side, took out the 3 firewall screws for the hard plastic drain tube, rotated the tuhe 90 degrees out of the way, and used compressed air to blow out the crap from the hole.

I didn't think to try it from underneath, that actually might have been easier & quicker.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there,
i have the same problem with a 05 passat new model,i park on a hill and if it rains the water is in the back passenger foot well and if i reverse in the water is in the front passenger foot well.....please please can some one help and it is doing my head in at the moment as we do get a lot of bloody rain here in Ireland

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Look up water intrusion and read the many threads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts