Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clay, I know this falls a bit out of standard fitment issues, but just out of curiosity, will

18x.8.5" BBS RS-GT's clear my ECS brakes?

Your colleague over on AW seems to have a lot of info on whether or not RGR's and RS-GT's will clear certain brake setups of audi, was wondering how that could cross reference/apply to our B5's and some of our aftermarket setups.

TIA.[/url]

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
bbk as in the 13.1" rotors or the whole 9 yards with porsche calipers and all? I remember that blownaway had to sell his rgrs because it wouldnt clear his stoptec calipers... either way I personally dont think either of thoese wheels look good on european cars, looks awesome on japonese tho. I didnt think they looked that hot on bugzy's car or all the mk4 kids that have them.

...but thats only my personal oppinion.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BBK as in my exact kit in the URL. 12.3" brakes and porsche boxster calipers.

I know the RGR's didn't fit Tim's car and I know the RGR's have fitment issues with certain A4's and upgraded brakes. I know there's not much fitment testing done on passats and aftermarket brakes. It's pretty much trial and error, but I don't have the means, nor the interest in buying rims and figuring it out. Hopefully Clay will have some answers on fitment for the RS-GT's.

I appreciate the opinion on the wheels, but I think I'll be able to pull off the look (we'll see though :nervous: ).

I've been looking at i-forged, fikse, and HREs, but the look may be too aggressive for my tastes.

Appreciate your opinions though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thread revival, wondering if you run a 5mm spacer will a bbk work? I'm running boxster calipers 12.3" rotors, looking at the RS-GT's, 19" thanks alot guys. Need info quickly!!! Sale is dependent on your answers!!!

Andy

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is exactly why I did not do a BBK. Tom at ECS tried to talk me into it. It's tempting when you are in their shop looking at those beauts.

Last summer I had a flat and a 15" spare. I'll just upgrade components with stock sizes.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Stasis 14.5'' kit behind some RS-GTs:

Youll be fine with your 12.3'' rotors...that clearence on that car was CLOSE i could barely fit a fingernail between the caliper and the spoke, BUT your rotors are 2.2'' smaller and your caliper is not as large as the Alcon one either.

The reason Julians wouldnt fit was because he wanted 18'' RS-GTs, plus he has the S2v2 kit so he is using a 13.1'' rotor.

·
Registered
589 Posts
gotcha ok, thanks alot. That is so nice looking!!!! Love the car.. so will I need spacers? or no? just don't want any hidden surprises.

andy

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
BryanB5.5 said:
This is exactly why I did not do a BBK. Tom at ECS tried to talk me into it. It's tempting when you are in their shop looking at those beauts.

Last summer I had a flat and a 15" spare. I'll just upgrade components with stock sizes.
You can always upgrade to a bigger spare!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Warped said:
You can always upgrade to a bigger spare!

Ha ha. I know. I am just glad I had stock brakes when I got the flat. I am now considering TT or A8 calipers. I don't think I would get full benefits on the street from some $2,500.00 brake kit.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
BryanB5.5 said:

Of course if the flat was on the front, you could always just move the rear tire forward and put the spare on the rear. Sure you're changing two tires instead of one, but it would get you home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
[email protected]
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing